First of UH Hilo Chancellor Finalists Visits Campus
Dr. Kristin Croyle holds open presentation for community
Copy Editor Rosannah Gosser Photos Courtesy of Kevianna Adams
Nov. 2, 2018
The first of the finalists contending for the position of UH Hilo’s chancellor held an open presentation for students, faculty, staff, and community members on Nov. 2, 2018 in Rose and Raymond Tseng Terrace of the University Classroom Building. The meet-and-greet is one of four open presentations during November that will be put on to provide the campus community an opportunity to learn about each potential chancellor.
Dr. Kristin L. Croyle spoke about the role of regional universities as foundations of stewardship, cultural life, and civic engagement in their communities, going on to explain some of the challenges that regional universities face in modern times, such as the shifting focus of higher education as a private, not public, good and the declining high school graduation rate in the U.S.
Croyle ended her presentation with a list of attributes that she believes makes UH Hilo special, including the campus’ emphasis on `aina, ohana, kuleana, and applied learning. Her goals for UH Hilo are centered on determining the ideal combination of students that will best benefit the community, and then developing the UHH experience to best serve students.
The majority of the presentation was attended by campus staff and faculty. In the audience were four students, three of which were members of Ke Kalahea.
"The Search Advisory Committee is pleased to invite these candidates with outstanding administrative experience and perspectives," said Search Advisory Committee Co-Chair Farrah-Marie Gomes in an email to the campus community. "We look forward to the campus visits and receiving feedback from the various constituent groups."
The successive presentations will be held Nov. 9, Nov. 14, and Nov. 16 at 10:15 a.m. in Rose and Raymond Tseng Terrace for the other chancellor finalists: Bonnie D. Irwin, Ming-Tung “Mike” Lee, and Terisa C. Riley.
- 24th Annual Ho`olaule`a
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit Celebrates Survivors and Focuses on College Students
- American Physical Society Goes Tropical
- An Anthology for a Threatened Planet
- An Overview of the Made in Hawai`i Film Festival
- Astro Day West
- Community Service Made a Difference
- Constitution Day at UH Hilo
- Dance Collective Photo Gallery
- Dr. Kealani Cook Talks Book at UH Hilo
- Drag Queens Visit UH Hilo
- Editorial: A Sharp Stroke of Fear
- First Ever UH Hilo CANFRM Student Symposium
- First of UH Hilo Chancellor Finalists Visits Campus
- Hawai`i Police Department Hosts Active Shooter Presentation
- International Nights Photo Gallery
- Lip-Sync Battle in Campus Center
- Lovely LGBTQ+ Center
- Making Yoga Approachable
- Perspective on Performance Poetry
- So You’re Telling Me There’s a Chance
- Stoke, the Lava Drama
- Students invited to speak to chancellor search firm
- Students Win Hawai‘i Business Plan Competition Scholarship
- Supporting Survivors
- UH Hilo Receives Gun Violence Threat on Campus
- UH Hilo Women’s Soccer Senior Night
- UHHSA to Host Open Forum for College of Business and Economics
- Vulcan Athletics Recap
- Vulcan Athletics Weekend Recap
- Vulcan Volleyball Splits Rivalry Weekend
- Vulcans Go 6-2 Before Road Trip
- Vulcans Lose Grant for PacWest Doubleheader
- Vulcans Off to Hot Start
- Vulcans win in tournament opener
- Vulcans Win Some and Lose Some Against Sunbirds
- Wearing The White Coats
- Why We Dance
- Women's March 2019