Ask Aunty (Fall 2016, Nov 21)

Q: What are some of the best places to hike where you can see animals? -Person

A: Aloha, and thank you for your question. Personally, the best place I would say for animals would more than likely be Waipi‘o Valley. I’m not sure about the connecting valleys since I have never hiked over there, but Waipi‘o has wild horses. The only drawback to that is the horses will bite and kick if they feel threatened, and they aren’t always visible. Other places to “hike”- if you’re interested in seeing different types of insects or lizards and geckos - would be the Hawai‘i Tropical Botanical Garden.

Q: What do I do if Trump wins? -Anonymous

A: Well, for starters, we need to not abandon all hope and jump ship. We need people to rally together to protest him, and the Electoral College. We also need to band together to create a support system for those he has “promised” to target, including the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, immigrants, Muslims, and women. Forget “making America great again,” we need to make America love and accept before anything can be great. Just hold on, and don’t give up hope. He won’t be getting eight years, if he even makes it through the first four.

Q: Should I drop my classes if I’m failing? -Anonymous

A: Really good question! I found myself in the same boat last month. The best advice I can give you is to go to the Advising Center in Student Services Building E203. I believe there is special paperwork that may need to be filled out, since the last day to withdraw with just a W was on October 28th. They will also help you map out future semesters so you won’t have a repeat of this one. There are other options - like academic bankruptcies, which will wipe the grades you receive for one semester and one semester only. However, it’s very tricky if you pass some classes that are prerequisites for another, since the bankruptcy applies to passing and failing grades. If the grades are wiped, that means you don’t get credit for that class and have to take it again to cover the prerequisite requirement. To be honest, talking to the academic advisors in SSB will be a bigger help. If they aren’t able to help with your major, go talk to your advisor in the department. Or, ask the chairperson of that department, since they’ll have a more detailed idea of what you’ll need to do in order to graduate on time.

Q. Which is more important: Bacon or Spam? -Anonymous

A: You’re asking the big question here. Without bacon, breakfast would be incomplete - but without spam we wouldn’t have the glorious creation that is a spam musubi. This is truly a tough call. I would have to say spam is more important since I love me some spam musubis. (The teriyaki spam musubis are my favorite!)

Q: How do you go about getting involved in a research project? -Nerdy

A: Mahalo for asking, “Nerdy.” On SECE, the student employment website, there are usually postings for paid research assistants. If none of those suit your fancy, try talking with teachers in a field that you want to do research in. Some of them have research projects already in the works and are looking for assistance, while others will at least be open to projects you personally have in mind.