Thesis & Dissertation Publishing
The Library's Collection
The Edwin H. Mookini Library obtains UH Hilo theses and dissertations in print for our collection. Graduate works from other universities are acquired in print only on an exceptional basis (usually if they have to do with Hawaiʻi). Use LibCat to locate a thesis or dissertation in print. UH Hilo users can search Dissertations and Theses from ProQuest for online works.
Students now have the option to deposit an electronic copy of their graduate work in HOKU, the UH Hilo Institutional Repository. This is a free service in ETD Administrator that provides students with an option to archive their thesis or dissertation as open-access content. However, a fee is required if a student still wishes to publish their graduate work with ProQuest under their open-access agreement rather than their free traditional publishing agreement. For more information about the ProQuest publishing agreements, see the guides in ETD Administrator.
Submitting and publishing your graduate work at UH Hilo
It is the student’s responsibility to prepare a final manuscript that meets the style requirements of both the UH Hilo Graduate Division and his or her graduate program. Please follow the UH Mānoa ETD Style & Policy Guide for Theses and Dissertations for general guidelines on the physical format of the manuscript. Please note the following:
- Signature Page
- Do not include a signature page. Use Form 3 (PDF) and do not include it in the manuscript. By signing this form, committee members indicate approval of the content and the form of the final manuscript.
- An abstract is required for all theses and dissertations. For more information about formatting your abstract, please see the ProQuest/UMI guide to preparing your manuscript for submission.
- Fonts & Margins
- Embedded fonts required. For margin specifications, please follow the ProQuest/UMI guide to preparing your manuscript for submission.
All graduate works must be submitted via ETD Administrator , a web-based service for the submission and publication of student theses and dissertations. In the case where online submission is unfeasible, please contact the Mookini Library or call (808) 932-7296 for assistance.
Students must first create an account to start the submission process. ETD Administrator will then walk you through the next several steps. Please see the guides and other resources on the ETD Administrator website for more information on publishing options and copyright as well as frequently asked questions about online submission.
The ETD Administrator submission process must be completed by the required deadline in the UH Hilo academic calendar for submitting Form 3 to the Library. Students submitting their dissertation may optionally complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates.
- Create account in ETD Administrator
- Upload PDF manuscript, choose publishing options and complete submission details
- Library (Administrator) will review your manuscript and submission details and notify you by email that your submission was accepted or if minor revisions are requested.
- Upon notification of acceptance of your submission, bring your Form 3 to the Library for signature.
Publication is required for all theses and dissertations. All ETD Administrator submissions will generally be published by ProQuest/UMI within 8 to 12 weeks unless an embargo (delayed publishing) period is requested.