Computers in the Library
The computers in the library are managed by a different UH Hilo department outside the library. If you are experiencing problems with a computer please contact the Technology Help Desk for assistance.
On this page:
Computers in Mookini Library
Computers are available on the 2nd floor (Main Level) and 3rd floor (Upper Level) of the library. Log in using your UH username and password.
Please note our Computer Use Policies.
- Most of the computers in the library have internet access, Microsoft Office programs, and Acrobat Reader. A complete list of all software is available.
- Two computers near the Circulation Desk are limited to searching LibCat and have a 10-minute time limit.
- Most of the library is covered by the UH Hilo wireless Internet network.
- Physical laptop cables connected to the internet are available for laptops without wireless capability. The cables are located in the gray carrels on the 2nd floor (Main Level) near the DVDs.
Save Your Work Often
Library computers do not save anything! If you create a Word document, you must save it to your own USB or Google drive or email it to yourself.
When You Log Off a Library Computer Your Work Will Disappear!
Important Tips about USB Drives
- Saving to a USB drive
- Buy a USB Flash Drive - they are available at the UH Hilo Bookstore.
- Insert it into the USB port in your computer.
- To save a document
- Select "save as" and choose the device you want to save it to (your usb - "Removable Disk" or "unknown").
- Once the flash drive is selected, name your document in the "File name" field.
- To Eject USB Flash Drive
- If you pull out the USB flash drive without telling the computer first, you run the risk of damaging the drive and losing data.
- Tell your computer you want to remove your USB flash drive before you physically remove the drive from your computer.
- To do so on a PC, right-click on the icon for the drive and select "Remove" in order to safely remove the drive.
- On a Mac, drag the drive icon to the Recycle Bin to eject the drive.
Saving to Google drive
All UH users also have access to Google Drive, which automatically saves your work.
- Go to Google@UH and select Drive.
- In Google Drive you can create documents, spreadsheets and presentations. It can also open Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.
IT Resources @ UH
The UH System Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a broad range of IT services and support to students of the entire UH System. See the ITS website for information / help with: