Library News Archive
On this page:
- Online Tech Renewal Forms
- UH System Summer Book Club Selection
- T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot
- New Videos!
- Campus Climate Survey
- Spring 2021 Hours
- December 2020: Renew a laptop
- Winter Break Hours
- Sunday Computer Access
- Loans from Mainland Libraries is Back!
- Some Print Books Unavailable - Restriction Lifted!
- Library Chat
- Wahi Pāpaho
- Mookini Library Video Tutorials
- Additional COVID-19 Restrictions for Mookini Library
- New Databases
Online Tech Renewal Forms
Online forms are available to renew laptops and mobile hotspots. Be sure to read the form instructions carefully as renewal is not guaranteed.
UH System Summer Book Club Selection
T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot
UH Hilo students can borrow a hotspot to connect various wifi-capable devices to the internet from almost anywhere (not available to Hawaiʻi Community College students at this time). Some restrictions apply.
- Find out about our cameras, laptops, and ʻukulele.
- Learn techniques to assist and pitfalls to avoid when beginning your research.
- See all our video tutorials about library resources and services.
Campus Climate Survey
The UH Hilo Title IX ʻohana humbly invites all students to participate in the 2021 Campus Climate Survey. It is an opportunity to share your experiences and let your voice be heard! Mai paʻa i ka leo - do not withhold your voice. #behearduhhilo
Your responses will help to evaluate current outreach materials, programs, services and help to advocate for additional resources.
Special Instructions: To access the survey in your UH email, please refer to the personalized link with the subject line: “Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Harassment & Gender Based Violence”
For more information on the Campus Climate Survey, please contact email@example.com
Spring 2021 Hours
Spring Semester Hours now available
December 2020: Renew a laptop
December 2020: Renew a laptop using this Google Form. Please read the information at the top of the form carefully. If you have any questions or problems, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 932-7286.
Winter Break Hours
Winter Break Hours now available.
Sunday Computer Access
UCB 102 is open on Sundays from 10 am - 5 pm as a computer lab. The last day will be December 13.
Loans from Mainland Libraries is Back!
We can once again request books from mainland libraries. Since not all libraries are participating, it may still take longer than pre-pandemic. More information: https://hilo.hawaii.edu/library/loans
Some Print Books Unavailable - Restriction Lifted!
As of Nov. 18, this restriction has been lifted for Mookini Library and the notation no longer appears in LibCat.
Trial ended Nov. 18.
Mookini Library Video Tutorials
Learn about the library's collections and services, how to get access to resources, course reserves, loans, and more. Most videos shorter than 2 minutes. Link available from the Research page.
Additional COVID-19 Restrictions for Mookini Library
The Mookini Library is open only to UH students, faculty, and staff with a current ID. The library is currently closed to the public.
- Everyone inside the library is required to wear a mask or cloth face covering at all times.
- Library patrons are restricted to the 2nd floor (Main Level).
- The 1st floor (Lower Level) is closed. For retrieval of materials, please contact the Circulation Desk at (808) 932-7286.
- The 3rd floor (Upper Level) is closed except for those going to HITS or Graphics Services.
- The Hawaiian Collection is closed. For retrieval of materials, please contact the Circulation Desk at (808) 932-7286.
- Some materials may be unavailable if not necessary for course work.
- Reference / Research Assistance available only via:
- Choose your campus from the Research page to begin exploring through the Databases - A-Z list.
- Explore more than 2.5 million images of paintings, sculptures, ceramics, photographs, and anthropological artifacts from approximately 300 museum and university collections around the world. Temporary access; expires Dec. 31, 2020.
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Full-text journals and reference books on entrepreneurship and small business covering management, marketing, organizational behavior, product development, raising capital, risk taking, and more. Case studies, videos, and company profiles are included.
- Environment Complete
- Comprehensive index of periodicals in all environmental studies subjects. Many journals and some reference books are full text.
- Learning Express
- Test preparation and study guide source, including practice tests, tutorials, and flashcards. Set up an account to practice for the GRE, SAT, and other tests. There are also short courses on computer skills, finance, and other college and study skills.
- Literary Reference Center
- Reference works and journals, mostly full text, covering all genres and time periods of literature. Videos, book reviews, author biographies and interviews, study guides, literary criticism, and classic texts are included.
- NoveList Plus and NoveList K-8 Plus
- Wondering what novel or story to read next? Tools like “read-alikes” can help you decide.
- Sustainability Reference Center
- Full-text content from journals and some reference books covering all aspects of sustainability and corporate social responsibility.
- Vocational Studies
- Full-text journals and books for community college programs, including substance abuse counseling, CAD, criminal justice, forensics, graphic arts, health information technology, travel and tourism, veterinary assisting and more.