How To Borrow Equipment
On this page:
Equipment is located at the Circulation Desk in the Mookini Library.
Loan periods vary. Please call the Circulation Desk for information: (808) 932-7286.
Requirements for First-Time Borrowers
All first time borrowers must read, sign, and submit the Equipment Loan Agreement Form to the Circulation Desk at check-out (paper copy for signature available at Circulation Desk).
General Requirements for Borrowing
- Patron must be a student, faculty, or staff member of UH Hilo or Hawaiʻi CC (not all equipment available to CC patrons).
- Patron must be in good standing with the library with no outstanding fines.
- Only one item of each type can be checked out per library account at a time.
- Patrons are responsible for the proper care and handling of all equipment while on loan and shall return all items in the same condition they were received. See Fees & Liabilities section.
- Equipment will undergo inspection to document any changes before and after lending. See Fees & Liabilities section.
Handling & Storage
- It is the responsibility of the patron to properly store the equipment while it is on loan.
- Do not store the equipment in any hot environment. Do not store the equipment in a car. Keep the equipment out of the sun, rain, and heat.
- Do not tamper with the original hardware of the equipment. Do not attempt to clean or make repairs on your own. If you have any problems with the equipment or if it has been damaged, immediately return it to the Circulation Desk so that the issue may be resolved.
- Please return borrowed equipment by the due date.
- Do not use the book drop. All equipment must be returned to library staff at the Mookini Library Circulation Desk during library hours so that it can be inspected and the return can be processed.
- The equipment will not be loaned again until library staff has verified the condition and functionality of the equipment as good.
- If the equipment is returned with new damages or if the functionality of the equipment is compromised while on loan, a hold & associated fee will be placed on the patron’s account. See Fees & Liabilities section.
Fees & Liabilities
- Overdue fines for patrons are $1 a day with a maximum of $10 before transitioning to the associated lost item fee.
- In the event of theft, damage, or a lost item, the individual or academic unit will be charged for the full cost of the repair and/or item replacement.
|Damage Level||Description||Associated Fee|
|Level 1||Minor damage to equipment that does not affect use (i.e. scratches, nicks)||$0|
|Level 2||Minor damage that affects the use of the equipment||$5|
|Level 3||Moderate damage that requires repair between $5-$50||$5-$50|
|Level 4||Major damage that requires repair costing more than $50||$50-replacement cost|
|Lost Item||Item must be replaced||Cost of item replacement|