This page lists only subject-specific resources for Sociology. General information about searching for resources is available on the Guides page and in the options at the right (or at the bottom) of this page.
On this page:
Journal Articles Databases
Sociology Collection (Licensed for UH Hilo users only)
Access to Sociological Abstracts in combination with other databases covering the international literature in sociology and social services, along with related fields. Provides abstracts, indexing and full-text coverage of journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations, working papers, and more, including full-text from hundreds of leading sociology journals.
Other journal article databases are available.
The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academy of Sciences to publish the reports of the National Academy of Sciences, and National Research Council, all operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and medicine, providing authoritative information on important matters in science and health policy.
Free: Browse or download many full text books on the following subtopics.
- Children, Youth and Families
- Defense and Security
- Human Dimensions of Global Change
- Human Factors
- Law and Justice
- Policy, Reviews and Evaluations
- Population and Fertility Studies
- Women and Minorities
- International Sociological Association
- DataUSA - MIT Media Lab offers an easy-to-use site that visualizes public data by location, industry, occupation, and education.
Social Issues and Problems
Social Problems Forum: SSSP Newsletter provided essays, commentaries, letters to the editor, book review proposals, and photo essays. Archived .pdf downloads from 2000-2013.
Civil rights for ethnic or religious minorities, women, gays, the physically or mentally disabled
- Cornell Law School – Legal Information Institute – site links to many other resources (located near bottom of page)
Drugs & Crime
US Government Agencies
- Administration for Children & Families
- Administration for Native Americans
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Coordinating Council on Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Corporation for National & Community Service
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Housing
- National Council on Disability
- Office of Justice Programs
- Social Security Administration
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness & Urban Development
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Women’s Bureau – U.S. Dept. of Labor