Citation Tool: Mendeley
What Is Mendeley?
Mendeley [pronounced men-de-ley] is a free citation management tool that can be accessed online at mendeley.com. Developed by Elsevier, Mendeley software is compatible with all major web browsers. Storage capacity: Unlimited on desktop (size restricted by local storage capacity); 2 GB free cloud storage (about 700 articles).
Mendeley can be used to:
- Collect and organize different types of references (e.g. web pages, audio, video, articles, books)
- Create a citation and capture snapshots of websites
- Assign tags or create collections to organize materials
- Insert citations and create bibliographies
- Plug-ins allow you to insert citations and create bibliographies in Microsoft Word
- Hundreds of citation styles are available
- Work collaboratively with others
- Create private or public groups. One private group of 3 members is free.
- Create a library of shared resources
- Work on any computer
- Register and create a profile on mendeley.com to sync and access your library from any computer with internet access
- Access the Mendeley Catalog
- Search Mendeley’s crowd-resourced research catalog to add related content to your Library
No Mendeley on Mookini Library Computers
The computers in Mookini Library do not have Mendeley installed on them. You will need to use your own device to download and utilize Mendeley.
In addition to Mendeley, there are other options for reference management software listed on our Citation Builders page.
See the Citation Tool Feature Comparison Chart to help you decide which citation tool best fits your needs.
eBook in Collection
The Cybrarian’s Web 2 by Cheryl Ann Peltier-Davis
Call Number: ebook
Publication Date: 2015
A chapter of this ebook provides an overview of Mendeley: Reference Management and Collaboration Service.
Basic Guides for Using Mendeley
- Mendeley’s Getting Started Guide (PDF) : This guide covers all features of Mendeley. The table of contents can be used to go to a specific section of the guide.
- Mendeley Manual (PDF) : A manual developed by Mendeley that coves all features of the application. The table of contents can be used to navigate to a specific section of the manual.
- Mendeley Help Guides : Includes different help guides developed by Mendeley.
- UH Mānoa Guide: Mendeley
We would like to thank Keahiahi Long of Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies at UH Mānoa for sharing her Zotero 101 Libguide template with us.
Need Additional Help?
Resolve your issue by using the online Mendeley Support Center .