A-Z Databases - Hawaiʻi CC
This page is for Hawaiʻi Community College students, faculty, and staff.
Hawaiʻi CC Access
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Over 9,000 full-text journals (about 8,000 peer-reviewed); PDF content for some dating back as far as 1887, searchable cited references provided for more than 1,500 journals.
- Access World News (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive newspaper database of more than 8,500 news publications from the US and around the world. Over 31 Hawaiʻi news sources are included, the only access to these backfiles. (Same as NewsBank.)
- AGRICOLA (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Descriptions (with some linked to full text) of "publications and resources encompassing all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines, including animal and veterinary sciences, entomology, plant sciences, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries, farming and farming systems, agricultural economics, extension and education, food and human nutrition, and earth and environmental sciences."
- AGRIS (Free access for all users)
Indexes (not full text) the worldwide literature in agricultural science and technology from 1975 to the present. Produced by the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, AGRIS contains citations to journal articles, books, conference papers, unpublished reports, theses, and government publications.
- Alt-HealthWatch (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access.)
In-depth coverage across the full spectrum of subject areas covered by complementary and alternative medicine. Full-text articles for more than 180 international journals and reports, many peer-reviewed. Indexing and abstracts go back as far as 1984, and full-text goes back as far as 1990. In addition, there are hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research and book excerpts.
- American Geophysical Union Journals (Free access for all users)
From Wiley Online Library: 6 open access journals and 16 journals with open access options. 90,000+ articles available 24 months after publication.
- arXiv (Free access for all users)
Open-access archive for 1.7+ million scholarly articles in physics, mathematics, economics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science.
- Biography Reference Bank (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Coverage of more than 700,000 individuals; over 3.5 million records; links to over 600,000 related full-text articles, as well as abstracts and images from thousands of periodicals; over 35,000 images; substantive narrative profiles averaging 3,000 words in length.
- Biography Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive collection of more than 460,000 full-text biographies, including the complete full-text run of Biography Today and Biography, as well as thousands of narrative biographies that are not available in other databases.
- Bioline International (Free access for all users)
Database of open access journals from developing countries in the fields of medicine, health, agriculture, the environment, and demography.
- BioOne Complete (Free access for all users)
Database of open access titles in the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences.
- Book Collection: EBSCO Ebook Collection (Combined) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Includes fiction and nonfiction titles for adults and juveniles.
- Book Collection Nonfiction: Elementary School Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebooks from EBSCO. More than 1300 non-fiction books for elementary age users.
- Book Collection Nonfiction: Middle School Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebooks from EBSCO. More than 3100 non-fiction books for middle school age users.
- Book Collection Nonfiction: High School Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebooks from EBSCO. More than 2500 non-fiction books for high school age users.
- Book Collection: Nonfiction (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebooks from EBSCO. More than 4,100 popular (non-academic) nonfiction books. This collection is aimed primarily at public library users.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (Free access for all users)
Full-text access to government publications from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Includes the Occupational Outlook Handbook, Monthly Labor Review, and various research papers and studies.
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Over 3,800 full-text journals, including nearly 2,000 peer-reviewed journals; over 820 books/monographs; more than 11,000 case studies; more than 1,160,000 company profiles (Company View); more than 1,200 country economic reports; more than 7,400 industry reports; over 2,500 market research reports; more than 3,700 SWOT analyses; more than 1,800 trade journals and general business magazines.
- Chronicling America (Free access for all users)
An ongoing project from the Library of Congress to digitize historic newspapers. Coverage from 1777 to 1963 for some papers. Includes many historic Hawaiʻi newspapers (dates vary).
- CINAHL with Full Text (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Indexing and abstracts for over 1,700 current nursing and allied health journals and publications, with full text for more than 610 titles. Full-text coverage dates back to 1981.
- Computer Source: Consumer Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text for nearly 300 publications and indexing and abstracts for nearly 450 publications. Covers topics such as computer science, programming, artificial intelligence, cybernetics, information systems, robotics, and software.
- Consumer Health Complete [Multilingual] (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Browseable resource with full-text articles from a variety of popular (non-academic) sources.
- Core Historical Literature of Agriculture (Free access for all users)
Collection of landmark agricultural texts published between the early nineteenth century and the middle to late twentieth century. Digitized in full-text.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Complete Online (Hawaiʻi CC access)
An online encyclopedia of biographical and critical essays on the lives, works, and careers of the world's most influential literary figures from different eras and genres. The series provides reliable information on authors and their works, while placing writers in the larger perspective of literary history. Includes the main series, documentary, and yearbook volumes.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (Free access for all users)
Covers free, full text, quality-controlled scientific and scholarly journals.
- Ebook Central (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebook collection from ProQuest of almost 200,000 full-text academic titles. Search within the complete text of each title. Create an Ebook Central account (not required) to download books for offline access and other features. Titles also listed in LibCat.
- EBSCO Ebook Collection (Combined) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Includes fiction and nonfiction titles for adults and juveniles.
- Encyclopædia Britannica (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Entire set of encyclopedia volumes, with additional e-content.
- Encyclopedia of Associations (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebook collection of three directories:
- International Organizations
- National Organizations of the U.S.
- Regional, State, and Local Organizations
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Over 180,000 titles (200,000 volumes). Includes books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more. Includes works published in the UK during the 18th century plus thousands from elsewhere. Full-text searchable - every word on more than 33 million pages. View the digital page images and save, bookmark, print and download works.
- Entrepreneurial Studies Source (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text journals and reference books on entrepreneurship and small business covering management, marketing, organizational behavior, product development, raising capital, risk taking, and more. Case studies, videos, and company profiles are included.
- Environment Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive index of periodicals in all environmental studies subjects. Many journals and some reference books are full text.
- ERIC: Education Resources Information Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Sponsored by the US Department of Education, the national bibliographic database of education literature. When provided by ERIC, there are links to the ERIC full-text or links to other sources such as publisher websites or DOIs.
- Ethnographic Video Online, Vol. III: Indigenous Voices (Hawaiʻi CC access)
A comprehensive resource of documentaries, feature films, and short films made by and for indigenous people and communities from around the world. More than 650 titles available.
- European Views of the Americas (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
A comprehensive guide to printed records about the Americas written in Europe before 1750. Based on “European Americana: A Chronological Guide to Works Printed In Europe Relating to The Americas, 1493-1750,” the authoritative bibliography that is well-known and respected by scholars worldwide. More than 32,000 entries. Index only, no full text.
- Exploring Race in Society (standard EBSCO interface ) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Exploring Race in Society (unique interface ) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Exploring Race in Society is a free resource specifically designed for students and faculty at the high school and college level to support dialogue and encourage thoughtful discourse by providing students with a deep understanding of how current issues in society stem from actions and policies of the past for key issues surrounding systemic racism, ethnicity, diversity, and inclusivity. The resource is comprised of proprietary essays written and reviewed by a diverse group of writers representing the fields of academia, journalism, medicine, and other disciplines working to address issues related to race. In addition to the essays, Exploring Race in Society includes full-text articles from academic journals, primary source documents, nonprofit organizations, and government agency reports.
- Films on Demand (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Provides educational videos in streaming video format. Searchable by title and segment. Each video has closed captioning and a transcript.
- Fuente Académica (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Index of scholarly journals from Latin America, Portugal and Spain. There are detailed abstracts in multiple languages and comprehensive indexing of every article. Includes full text for more than 500 publications.
- Funk & Wagnall's New World Encyclopedia (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a variety of subject areas.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Ebook collection of reference books, searchable within each book, on a variety of topics.
- GeoScienceWorld (Free access for all users)
Indexing of a wide variety of geoscience publications. No subscription to full-text, but searches can be limited to open-access and free publications.
- Google Scholar (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Google search of scholarly articles, with a URL linker to Mookini Library databases enabled.
- GreenFILE (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Indexing and abstracts for more than 384,000 records, with Open Access full text for more than 4,700 records. Content includes global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- Hawaii Pacific Journal Index (HPJI) (Free access for all users.)
Index of scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers published in or about Hawaiʻi and the Pacific. Coverage: all subject areas. Dates: back to the 1890s.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Nearly 80 full-text consumer health magazines.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Provides nearly 550 scholarly full-text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Also features the AHFS Consumer Medication Information, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
- HeinOnline Civil Rights & Social Justice (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Contains publications from the Commission on Civil Rights, legislative histories on landmark legislation, briefs from relevant U.S. Supreme Court cases, and more, covering civil rights in the United States as their legal protections and definitions are expanded to cover more and more Americans.
- HeinOnline Gun Regulation & Legislation in America (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Contains essential periodicals, compiled legislative histories, CRS reports, Congressional hearings, United States Supreme Court briefs, monographs, and other related materials on the difficult and controversial topic of regulating firearms in the United States. It also includes an extensive bibliography and a balanced selection of external resources to further research this subject.
- HeinOnline Open Society Justice Initiative (Hawaiʻi CC access)
The Open Society Justice Initiative, part of the Open Society Foundations, was established in 2003 to provide expert legal support for Open Society's broader mission and values through strategic human rights litigation and other legal work. The Justice Initiative publishes reports, handbooks, briefing papers, legal and policy submissions, and fact sheets exploring and advocating on issues of human rights and justice.
- HeinOnline LGBTQ+ Rights (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Contains historical and contemporary materials regarding gay rights and issues, including books, pamphlets, reports, scholarly articles, interactive timeline, and more.
"Throughout the LGBTQ+ Rights database, users may encounter items and viewpoints that they find offensive. These items are included in order to properly foster dialogue and to fully understand both the progress our society has made and the inequalities that still exist today."
- HeinOnline Slavery in America and the World: History, Culture, & Law (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Contains a multitude of essential legal materials on slavery in the United States and the English-speaking world. It includes every statute passed by every colony and state on slavery, every federal statute dealing with slavery, and all reported state and federal cases on slavery.
- History Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text from more than 1,620 reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books, cove-rto-cover full text for more than 150 leading history periodicals, nearly 57,000 historical documents, more than 78,000 biographies of historical figures, more than 113,000 historical photos and maps, and more than 80 hours of historical video.
- Hobbies & Crafts Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive full-text content for many popular hobbies, crafts and recreation activities. Including full-text for more than 500 magazines and books, as well as access to 333 videos and 144 hobby reports, and extensive information on over 140 topics.
- Home Improvement Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full text for more than 120 reference books and 45 magazines; more than 35,000 images; nearly 100 videos of popular home repair projects and a convenient A-Z browsing tool for searching.
- JSTOR (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Access to select full-text academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in multiple disciplines. Archived journal coverage is from first issue of each title, but usually does not include current content.
- Learning Express (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Test preparation and study guide source, including practice tests, tutorials, and flashcards. Set up an account to practice for the ACT, GRE, SAT, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, Praxis, and other tests. There are also short courses on computer skills, finance, and other college and study skills.
- Legal Collection (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full text for more than 250 scholarly law journals, such as law school reviews.
- Legal Information Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
More than 225 full-text consumer legal publications and thousands of legal forms. Browse by category or publication, or browse legal forms by state.
- LISTA: Library and Information Science Abstracts (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Abstracts with some full-text of core library and information science journals.
- Literary Reference Center Plus (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Reference works and journals, mostly full text, covering all genres and time periods of literature. Videos, book reviews, author biographies and interviews, study guides, literary criticism, and classic texts are included.
- LLMC-Digital (Hawaiʻi CC access)
LLMC is a non-profit cooperative of libraries dedicated to the goals of preserving legal titles and government documents, while making copies inexpensively available digitally through this online service.
- MAS Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Designed specifically for high school libraries, this database contains full-text popular high school magazines, reference books, image files, and primary source documents.
- MasterFILE Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Designed specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for general reference publications and primary source documents, as well as an extensive image collection.
- MedicLatina (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
This Spanish language database contains full-text for 130 peer-reviewed medical journals from Latin American and Spanish publishers.
- MEDLINE (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
The National Library of Medicine's database of citations and abstracts (not full text) from 5,400 biomedical journals published in the U.S. and worldwide. Coverage extends back to 1948.
- Middle Search Plus (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text of more than 140 middle school level magazines. Also contains biographies and historical essays, primary source documents, and a School Image Collection of photos, maps and flags.
- Military & Government Collection (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full text for nearly 300 journals and periodicals, and indexing and abstracts for more than 400 titles. Some publications covered in this database include Air Force Comptroller, Defence Studies, JFQ: Joint Force Quarterly, Military Technology, Combat Edge, FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, Foreign Affairs, and Naval Forces.
- NewsBank (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive newspaper database of more than 8,500 news publications from the US and around the world. Over 31 Hawaiʻi news sources are included, the only access to these backfiles. (Same as Access World News.)
- Newspaper Source Plus (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
More than 860 full-text newspapers, providing more than 35 million full-text articles. In addition, the database features more than 857,000 television and radio news transcripts.
- Newswires (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Content from news wire services and aggregators such as Associated Press and United Press International.
- NoveList Plus (EBSCO) and NoveList K-8 Plus (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Fiction readers’ advisory. Wondering what novel or story to read next? Tools like “read-alikes” can help you decide.
- Poetry & Short Story Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access.)
Comprehensive collection of full-text poetry, short stories, and supplemental content. Full text of poems, as well as biographies and authoritative essays on such topics as poetic forms, movements and techniques. Incorporates information from reference works, books, and literary journals as well as proprietary content from EBSCO Publishing. The most studied poems are supplemented with indexing covering subject, poetic forms, poetic themes, techniques, and literary periods, schools, and movements.
- Points of View Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access.)
Full-text database designed to provide students with a series of controversial essays that present multiple sides of a current issue. Essays provide questions and materials for further thought and study and are accompanied by thousands of supporting articles from the world’s top academic and popular journals. Interface is browseable by subject.
- Primary Search (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access.)
Full text for more than 70 popular magazines for elementary school students, and a School Image Collection of photos, maps and flags.
- Professional Development Collection (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Designed for professional educators, this database provides a highly specialized collection of nearly 520 high quality education journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles, and more than 200 educational reports.
- Project Gutenberg (Free access for all users)
Free ebooks in the public domain, most with copyright dates before 1930.
- Project MUSE (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full text of more than 100 journals in the humanities and social sciences as well as hundreds of full-text ebooks from university presses.
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Over 500 journal titles indexed, many with full text.
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) (Free access for all users)
Peer-reviewed open-access science and medicine journals in full text.
- PubMed (Free access for all users)
More than 30 million citations for biomedical literature from MedLine, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (Free access for all users)
Sanborn maps are large-scale plans of a city or town, drawn at a scale of 50 feet to an inch. They were created to assist fire insurance companies as they assessed the risk associated with insuring a particular property. The maps list street blocks and building numbers including numbers in use at the time the map was made (all are pre-1981) and previous numbers. Some Hawaiʻi maps are available. About this Collection includes information about how to read the maps.
- Science Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Browseable by topic, includes: full-text science periodicals; reference books; encyclopedias; science essays; full-length biographies of scientists; science animations; 10,000+ science images; over 500 videos.
- ScienceDirect (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Comprehensive collection of journal content in the sciences.
- Small Business Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Browseable by topic, includes nearly 400 full-text periodicals and over 450 full-text reference books. Also business videos and a collection of state-specific resources with demographic data and other local information.
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text database designed for use in public and school libraries. Content is derived from the full set of small engine repair manuals from Clymer, which provide step-by-step procedures based upon the complete disassembly of the machine.
- Sustainability Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text content from journals and some reference books covering all aspects of sustainability and corporate social responsibility.
- Teacher Reference Center (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Provides indexing and abstracts for the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators. Approximately 300 periodicals, 96% of which are peer reviewed.
- TOPICsearch (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Contains full text for more than 90,000 articles from nearly 250 diverse sources including international and regional newspapers; EBSCO's unparalleled collection of periodicals, biographies, public opinion polls, book reviews, pamphlets, and government information. Use the drop-down menus for Current Events or Topics to easily locate relevant articles.
- Vocational & Career Collection (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Designed for vocational and technical libraries servicing high schools, community colleges, trade institutions and public libraries. Full-text coverage for nearly 340 trade and industry related periodicals. In addition to the full text, indexing and abstracts are provided for over 600 journals.
- Vocational Studies Complete (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Full-text journals and books for community college programs, including substance abuse counseling, CAD, criminal justice, forensics, graphic arts, health information technology, travel and tourism, veterinary assisting and more.
- Web News (EBSCO) (Hawaiʻi CC access)
Near real-time access to thousands of top news feeds from around the globe. This collection includes over 14,000 feeds covering a range of business and general news topics. End users can immediately access the full text of the web content by following the link in the record.