UH Hilo follows Hawaiʻi County Recycling guidelines regarding HI-5 redemption, mixed recycling and rubbish removal.
Recycling Instructions for HI-5 Containers
- Blue bins located inside of buildings are for HI-5 cans and bottles
- Wire bins located outside of buildings are for HI-5 cans and bottles
- Student clubs on campus empty and clean these bins, and use the cans and bottles for fund raising projects.
Recycling Instructions for Brown Corrugated Cardboard
Dumpsters located outside of buildings marked specifically for corrugated cardboard.
- Brown corrugated cardboard recycling consists of brown corrugated cardboard and brown paper bags only.
- No plastics, wax-coated boxes or paper, no food or oil contaminated materials, no Styrofoam.
Instructions for Trash not Recycled by UH Hilo
- Plastic lined trash cans located outside offices in hallways, classrooms, and building exteriors are for items not recycled by UH Hilo.
- Examples of this type of trash is food waste, styrofoam, bubble wrap, non HI-5 glass containers, plastic binders, metal, etc. Refer to Hawaiʻi County Recycling guidelines for more information. It is recommended that you take non HI-5 glass containers to the County transfer station nearest your home.
- Trash cans located in restrooms are also to be used for non-recycled trash, as restroom paper is not considered Mixed Recycling.
Instructions for Dumpsters on Campus
- Orange dumpsters are for all rubbish items.
- Brown dumpsters are for recyclable brown paper bags and brown corrugated cardboard only.
We appreciate your participation in helping UH Hilo become a leader in environmentally friendly practices.