You are viewing internship #79. View all internships.
- National Tropical Botanical Garden
- Horticultural Internship Program
- Extended description:
The mission of the National Tropical Botanical Garden is to enrich life through discovery, scientific research, conservation, and education by perpetuating the survival of plants, ecosystems, and cultural knowledge of tropical regions.
National Tropical Botanical Garden offers a work-study internship for college- and university-level students and other adults interested in expanding their knowledge of horticulture for career purposes. NTBG’s Horticultural Internship Program (HIP) is designed for energetic and motivated individuals. Interns will work side-by-side with staff caring for and learning about the plant collections, including native Hawaiian species, breadfruit, and other tropical species. The schedule includes on-the-ground introduction and training, lectures, or workshops by NTBG staff faculty on plant propagation, plant records/mapping, botany, ethnobotany, restoration ecology, conservation, and other plant-related topics. For students interested in the establishment, development, and maintenance of a botanical garden, this is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable, practical experience in a tropical setting.
Applications - Complete online at https://ntbg.org/education. A non-refundable $30 USD application fee via credit card needs to be paid during the online application process. Then, submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly marking your message with the name used on the online application:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation and copy of transcripts (submitted as pdf) Lodging available upon request.
Interns are responsible for their own airfares to/from Līhu‘e, Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i, own meals (suggest allow at least $25/day), and own ground transportation, with the exception of airport pickup/drop-off and program days pick-up/drop off for those staying in Garden housing.
Interns receive a weekly stipend equivalent to the U.S. minimum wage. Interns are covered under NTBG worker’s compensation and must pass a pre-enrollment drug screening to be arranged by NTBG.
- Required Qualifications:
- Be a college-level student or have relevant experience or education
- Show an aptitude and strong interest in tropical horticulture, botany, conservation, ethnobotany, or science-related fields with mature career goals in this direction
- Be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. upon start of employment
- National Tropical Botanical Garden Internship Link
- paid internship This is a paid internship.
- Majors: Horticulture majors Agriculture majors Botany majors Conservation majors Ethnobotany majors Biology majors Environmental Science majors TCBES majors
- Tags: Horticulture Agriculture Ecology Botany Conservation Ethnobotany Science National Tropical Botanical Garden NTBG