Welcome to SHEL (State Higher Education Loan Program) Entrance Counseling
Why You're Here
Before your school disburses your SHEL Loan, regulations require that you complete an entrance counseling session. The counseling session helps guide you in managing your student loans, both during and after college. (Parents: Please don't complete the counseling session on behalf of your son or daughter, as this federal requirement helps the student understand the rights and responsibilities of borrowing a student loan.)
Here's the best part: You can do the counseling online, in about 25 minutes right from this page if your college participates in this Online Student Loan Counseling.
Before You Start
You will need the following information:
- Your Social Security number
- Name, address, and telephone number of your next of kin and/or parent
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and employers for two references residing at different addresses
Also, ask your school for the average student loan indebtedness of borrowers at the school or in the same program of study at the school. You may use the student loan calculator in this session to calculate your estimated monthly payment based on average indebtedness for other students.
What to Do
- Select your school below.
- Read the content that follows and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions you have.
- Print the confirmation page that appears after you fill out the student information form or note your confirmation number for your records.
Note: Generally, the Back and Forward buttons on your browser will not work once you begin the counseling session. Use the buttons within the counseling to navigate.
Where to Go for Help
If you are experiencing problems, please contact the Financial Aid Office.