Dr. Michael Shintaku
Professor of Plant Pathology
Ph.D., Plant Pathology, Cornell University
M.S., Plant Pathology, University of Hawaiʻi
B.S., Journalism, University of Oregon
I specialize in plant-virus interactions. I am currently working on projects involving tomato spotted wilt virus, cymbidium mosaic virus and dasheen mosaic virus. I am also interested in the bacterial wilt pathogen Ralstonia solanacearum.
- Stallman, J.K., D. E. Hemmes, N. A. Hynson, and M H. Shintaku. 2020. Lepiota punaensis sp. nov. from Hawaiʻi Island, and a discussion of L. elaiophylla. Mycotaxon 135(3)
- Bellinger, M.R., R. Paudel, S. Starnes, L. Kambic, M. Kantar, T. Wolfgruber, K. Lamour, S. Geib, S. Sim, S. Miyasaka, M. Helmkampf, M. Shintaku. 2020. Taro genome assembly and linkage map reveal QTLs for resistance to Taro Leaf Blight. G3: Genes, Genomes Genetics. 10(8): g3.401367.2020. DOI: 10.1534/g3.120.401367
- Akahoshi, K, S. Motomura-Wages, M. Shintaku and R.T Hamasaki. 2019. Clubroot Disease of Crucifer Crops. UH-CTAHR Cooperative Extension Fact Sheet 730.11.
- Miyasaka, S., M.R. Bellinger, M.B. Kantar, M. Helmkampf, T. Wolfgruber, R. Paudel, M. Shintaku. 2019. Genetic diversity in taro (Colocasia esculenta). In: Genetic Diversity in Horticultural Plants. Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-96454-6_7
- Helmkampf, M., T.K. Wolfgruber, M.R. Bellinger, R. Paudel, M.B. Kantar, S.C. Miyasaka, H. Kimball, A. Veillet, A. Read and M. Shintaku. 2018. Phylogenetic relationships, breeding implications and cultivation history of Hawaiian taro (Colocasia esculenta) through genome-wide SNP genotyping. Journal of Heredity. 109(3). 272-282. DOI: 10.1093/jhered/esx070
- Shrestha, S.K., S.C. Miyasaka, M. Shintaku, H. Kelly, K. Lamour. 2017. Phytophthora colocasiae from Vietnam, China, Hawaii and Nepal: intra- and inter-genomic variations in ploidy and a long-lived, diploid Hawaiian lineage. Mycological Progress. 16:9, 898-904. DOI: 10.1007/s11557-017-1323-z
- Wolfgruber, T., M. Helmkampf, M.B. Kantar, M.R. Bellinger, S.C. Miyasaka, and M. Shintaku. 2016. Use of pseudo-reference genomes to improve genotyping-by-sequencing of taro (Colocasia esculenta). Presentation at Amer. Soc. Hort. Science, 8-11 August 2016. https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2016/webprogram/Paper24695.html.
- Shintaku, M., H.L. Kimball, A.D Brown, S. Miyasaka, S.B. Sim and S.M. Geib. 2016. Using genotyping by sequencing (GBS) to identify loci in Colocasiae esculenta linked to Phytophthora colocasiae resistance. Acta Hortic. 1118: 131-138. DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2016.1118.19
- Miyasaka, S., K. Lamour, M. Shintaku, S. Shrestha and J. Uchida. 2013. Taro leaf blight caused by Phytophthora colocasiae. In: Phytophthora: A Global Perspective. CAB International.**
- Kimball, H., M. Shintaku and S. C. Miyasaka. 2014. Using genotyping by sequencing (GBS) to identify loci in Colocasiae esculenta linked to resistance to Phytophthora colocasiae. Oral presentation at the 2014 International Horticultural Congress. Brisbane, Australia.**
- Motomura, S., N. Arancon, S. C. Miyasaka, A. Read, and M. Shintaku. 2011. Detection of Ralstonia solanacearum in Hawaiian field soils and evaluation of composts for suppressing pathogen populations. Poster presentation at the American Phytopathological Society/International Plant Protection Society Joint Annual Meeting.
- Brown, A., S. C. Miyasaka and M. Shintaku. 2011. Screening taro (Colocasia esculenta) for resistance to taro leaf blight (TLB) using a detached-leaf disc bioassay and marker-assisted selection. Poster presentation at the American Phytopathological Society/International Plant Protection Society Joint Annual Meeting.
- K. Akahoshi, S.-C. Chantha, C. Seeve and M. Shintaku. 2011. Using the tomato spotted wilt virus nucleocapsid protein gene for pathogen-derived resistance in lettuce. Poster presentation at the American Phytopathological Society/International Plant Protection Society Joint Annual Meeting.
- K. Akahoshi, S. C. Miyasaka and M. Shintaku. 2011. Evaluation of detection methods for cymbidium mosaic virus. American Society for Horticultural Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Brown, A. A. Veillet, S. C. Miyasaka, C. Bernabe and M. Shintaku. 2011. Screening Taro (Colocasia esculenta) for Resistance to Taro Leaf Blight (TLB) Using a Detached-Leaf Disc Bioassay and Developing DNA Markers for Use In Selection. Invited talk. American Society for Horticultural Sciences Annual Meeting.
- Motomura, S., S. C. Miyasaka and M. Shintaku.2011. Effect of composts on field soils affected by bacterial wilt of edible ginger In Hawaii. American Society for Horticultural Sciences Annual Meeting
- Shintaku, M. , A. Shimabukuro and C. Seeve, 2005. PCR assay of weeds associated with an outbreak of bacterial wilt of ginger in East Hawaiʻi. Journal of Hawaiian and Pacific Agriculture. 13:9-13.
- Lu, R. A. Folimonov, M. Shintaku, W.-X. Li, B. W. Falk, W. O. Dawson, and S.-W. Ding. 2004. Three distinct suppressors of RNA silencing encoded by a 20-kb viral RNA genome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 101:15742-15747.
- Nishijima, K. A., A. M. Alvarez, P. R. Hepperly, M. H. Shintaku, L. M. Keith, D. M. Sato, B. C. Bushe, J. W. Armstrong and F. T. Zee. 2004. Association of Enterobacter cloacae in rhizome rot of edible' ginger (Zingiber officinale) in Hawaiʻi . Plant Disease 88:1318-1327
- Wong, S-M., S. S-C. Thio, M. H. Shintaku, and P. Palukaitis. 1999. The rate of cell-to-cell movement of cucumber mosaic virus is affected by sequences of the capsid protein. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 7:628-632
- Tsang, M. M. C., and M. H. Shintaku, 1998. Hot air treatment for control of bacterial wilt in ginger root. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 14(2):159-163
- Dagless, E. M., M. H. Shintaku, R. S. Nelson and G. D. Foster. 1997. A CaMV 35S promoter driven cDNA clone of tobacco mosaic virus can infect host plant tissue despite being uninfectious when manually inoculated onto leaves. Archives of Virology 142:183-191
- Shintaku, M. H., T. Kaneshiro and C. Enriques. 1996. Detecting Pseudomonas solanacearum in edible ginger using the polymerase chain reaction. Journal of Hawaiian and Pacific Agriculture 7:11-19
- Ding, X. S., M. H. Shintaku, S. Carter, and R. S. Nelson. 1996. Invasion of minor veins of tobacco leaves inoculated with tobacco mosaic virus mutants defective in phloem-dependent movement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 93:11155-11160