Li Tao, Associate Professor
- Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California at Davis
- M.S., Physiology, Nanjing University
- B.S., Biochemistry, Nanjing University
My research is centered on the regulation of cell division. Cell division is of tremendous interest to the biomedical research community, in large part because uncontrolled cell division is the cause of several human diseases including cancer. Mitotic cell division is the process by which identical copies of the replicated genome are segregated into two identical daughter cells. A set of proteins known as the mitotic spindle plays key role both in segregating replicated chromosomes and in cleavage furrow formation. My research has two focuses: 1. Using a combination of in vitro biochemistry and in vivo cell biology to understand the mechanisms driving the formation and functioning of the mitotic spindle. 2. Analysis of the mitotic effects of potential anti-cancer drugs derived from Hawaiian natural products Read more...
- Barbosa J, Martins T, Bange T, Tao L, Conde C, Sunkel C. Polo regulates Spindly to prevent premature stabilization of kinetochore-microtubule attachments. EMBO J. 2020 Jan 15;39(2):e100789. doi: 10.15252/embj.2018100789.
- Brose L, Crest J, Tao L*. and Sullivan W*. (*Corresponding author). Polo kinase mediates the phosphorylation and cellular localization of Nuf/FIP3, a Rab11 effector. Mol Biol Cell. 2017 Jun 1;28(11):1435-1443.
- Shim A, Tezuka G, Kupcha L and Tao L*. (*Corresponding author). Gliding Assay to Analyze Microtubule-Based Motor Protein Dynamics. Bio-Protocol. Vol 7, Iss 7, 4/5/2017, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21769/BioProtoc.2210
- Geisterfer Z, Tezuka G and Tao L*. (*Corresponding author). In vitro Microtubule Bundling Assay Under Physiological Conditions. Biol-Protocol. Vol 7, Iss 7, 4/5/2017, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21769/BioProtoc.2217
- Tao L*., Fasulo B, Warecki B, Sullivan W. (*Corresponding author) Tum/RacGAP functions as a switch activating the Pav/kinesin-6 motor. (PDF) Nat Commun. 2016 Apr 19;7:11182.
- Acar S, Carlson DB, Budamagunta MS, Yarov-Yarovoy V, Correia JJ, Niñonuevo MR, Jia W, Tao L, Leary JA, Voss JC, Evans JE, Scholey JM. The bipolar assembly domain of the mitotic motor kinesin-5. (PDF) Nat Commun. 2013;4:1343.
- Tao L*. and Scholey JM. (*Corresponding author) “Purification and Assay of Mitotic Motors.” (PDF) Methods. Vol. 51, Iss. 2, 2010. ISSN 1046-2023
- Civelekoglu-Scholey G.*, Tao L*., Brust-Mascher I*****, Wollman R and Scholey JM. (*Co-first author) Prometaphase spindle maintenance by an antagonistic motor-dependent force balance made robust by a disassembling lamin-B envelope (PDF). J Cell Biol. 2010 Jan 11; 188(1):49-68.
- van den Wildenberg S*, Tao L*., Kapitein LC, Schmidt C, Scholey JM, and Peterman EJG. (*Co-first author)The Homotetrameric Kinesin-5, KLP61F, Preferentially Crosslinks Microtubules into Antiparallel Orientations (PDF). Curr Biol. 2008 Dec 9; 18: 1860–1864.
- Tao L*., Mogilner A, Civelekoglu-Scholey G, Wollman R, Evans J, Stahlberg H, Scholey JM. (*First author) A Homotetrameric Kinesin-5, KLP61F, Bundles Microtubules and Antagonizes Ncd in Motility Assays. (PDF) Curr Biol. 2006 Dec 5; 16(23):2293-302.
- Pan X, Ou G, Civelekoglu-Scholey G, Blacque OE, Endres NF, Tao L, Mogilner A, Leroux MR, Vale RD, Scholey JM. Mechanism of transport of IFT particles in C. elegans cilia by the concerted action of kinesin-II and OSM-3 motors.(PDF) J Cell Biol. 2006 Sep 25; 174(7):1035-45.
- Li J, Zhang D and Tao L*. Determination of the Dissociation Constant of Vitamin-Protein Complex by Fluorometric Analysis. (*Corresponding author) University Chemistry (Chinese). 2000; 15(3)
- Li J and Tao L*. Attempt for Improving the Teaching Reform of Biochemistry Experiment. Laboratory Research and Exploration (Chinese). (*Corresponding author) 1999 Aug 1; 18(4): 38-41
- Chen J, Tao L, Li J, Zhu W, Yuan Y. "Biochemistry Lab” (Chinese) ISBN 7-03-010989-9, 2003.