ʻIke Wai Research Experience in Data Science 2019
The application period for the 'Ike Wai Research Experience has ended. Thank you for your interest in the Research Experience program! Please contact Roberto Pelayo (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
A Second Pair of Eyes: Digital Image Analysis of Hawaiian Coral Reefs
Students Can Apply for TWO SPECIAL PROGRAMS
This project will be split up into 2 parts:
- Wet Program (Part 1): May 30 – June 7; Students will conduct field surveys to characterize coral health and community structure using SCUBA and/or snorkel techniques with vessel support.
- Dry Program (Part 2): July 1 – August 2; Using the data collected in the Wet Program, students will use machine learning and computer vision to automatically identify coral species and health problems from raw diving imagery.
Requirements for ʻIke Wai Research Experience
- Current UH Hilo or UH Hilo bound student
- An Introductory Statistics Course (e.g., MARE 250, MATH 271, or CS 272)
Wet Program (Part 1):
- Availability: ay 30 – June 7
- Completion of MARE 140 and MARE 171
Dry Program (Part 2):
- Availability: July 1 – August 2
- Basic Programming Knowledge (Python, C++, or R)
Students could participate in the following 3 ways:
- Wet Phase only (Part 1) = $500
- Dry Phase only (Part 2) = $2000
- Wet and Dry Phases (Parts 1 & 2) = $3000
Final Application Deadline: Friday April 12, 2019, 12:00 PM
Questions? Please contact Bob Pelayo at firstname.lastname@example.org