Using YouTube for Distance Learning
Need assistance with your Online Course(s)?
On this page:
We highly recommend that you utilize YouTube to present your recorded lessons.
YouTube has the following advantages.
- Easy to use
- Accessible on most devices
- Automatic captioning
- Automatic resolution scaling to the end user's device (Desktop, tablet, and mobile devices)
- Does not require specialized video codecs or software
Activating YouTube on your UH Hilo account
If you have not already done so, you must activate UH Consumer Apps to enable YouTube on your UH account.
Uploading and Creating Playlists
Adding, Editing, and Correcting Captions
- After you upload your video to YouTube it will auto-caption your video to its best ability by utilizing Google A.I. voice recognition.
- The A.I. engine will render your captions phonetically.
- Commonly used words generally translate well.
- Hawaiian, medical terms, and Latin (scientific) terms generally will require correction.
- Most captions will appear 5-10 minutes after you upload your video.
Tip: The A.I. engine may have issues transcribing your voice if you have a lot of background noise, a strong accent, or speak too quickly.