Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences Faculty and Staff
Chair & Associate Professor, Kinesiology & Exercise Science
Contact: Tel: (808) 932-7114, Email
Professor, Kinesiology & Exercise Sciences
Assistant Professor, Kinesiology & Exercise Sciences
Contact: Tel: (808) 932-7967, Email
Contact: Tel: (808) 932-7976, Email
Hypoxia (lack of oxygen) represents an underlying feature of many cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases. My research focuses on disease-induced central and peripheral derangements in cardiovascular and metabolic function and how these cause hypoxia and derail physical functionality. More specifically, I am interested in oxygen delivery and skeletal muscle contractile and metabolic function as it relates to the exercise tolerance of patient populations and those exposed to environmental stressors (e.g., altitude and heat/cold stress). I also currently teach Introduction to Kinesiology (KES 210), Advanced Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (KES 334), and Exercise Physiology (KES 348).
1. Ferguson SK, Hirai DM, Copp SW, Holdsworth CT, Allen JD, Jones AM, Musch TI & Poole DC. (2013). Impact of dietary nitrate supplementation via beetroot juice on exercising muscle vascular control in rats. J Physiol 591:547-57.
2. Ferguson SK, Holdsworth CT, Fees AJ, Allen JD, Jones AM, Musch TI, & Poole DC. (2014). Microvascular oxygen pressures in muscles comprised of different fiber types: Impact of dietary nitrate supplementation. Nitric Oxide 48:38-43.
3. Ferguson SK, Holdsworth CT, Colburn TD, Wright JL, Jones AM, Allen JD, Musch TI, & Poole DC. (2016). Dietary nitrate supplementation: Impact on skeletal muscle vascular control in exercising rats with heart failure. J Appl Physiol 121(3): 661-669.
4. Ferguson SK, Pak DI, Hopkins JL, Redinius KM, Loomis Z, Stenmark KR, Borden MA, Schroeder T, Irwin DC. (2017) Pre-clinical application of aerosolized water-in-fluorocarbon emulsion for the treatment of acute hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction. J. Control. Release 26 (1), 147-157.
5. Ferguson SK, Redinius KM, Yalamanoglu A, Harral JW, Baek JH, Loomis Z, Pak DI, Hassal D, Eigenberger P, Nozik-Grayck E, Nuss R, Hassell K, Stenmark KR, Buehler PW, Irwin DC. (2018). Effects of living at moderate altitude on pulmonary vascular function and exercise capacity in mice with sickle cell anemia. J Physiol 597(4):1073-1085.