About the School of Education
The UH Hilo School of Education provides pre-service and in-service teachers with high-quality, integrated, inquiry- and field-based professional development; serves as a resource to area educators who are meeting the challenges of teaching in a culturally rich, technologically advanced society; and conducts, as well as guides, action research to expand knowledge of teaching and learning.
The School of Education offers three programs:
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) which leads to teacher licensure in the State of Hawaiʻi
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) for the professional development of inservice teachers
- An undergraduate academic certificate in Educational Studies (ACES)
School of Education
The Heart of
Our Learning Community
The School of Education envisions its future as the heart of a learning community of caring, ethical, and creative people as faculty seek to fulfill the following mission: The purpose of the School of Education is to promote excellence in teaching and learning. The School fosters the professional vitality of reflective, caring educational practitioners who inspire students to recognize and act upon their power to positively transform both local and global environments.
The School of Education strives to fulfill the following goals.
- Teaching and learning are holistic endeavors.
- Empathy between self and others is an essential aspect of a pedagogical relationship.
- Effective teaching embraces artistic ideals.
- Excellence follows a rigorous path.
- Teachers are change agents capable of transforming the environments in which they work.