VIII. Promoting Wellness and Mental Health
These guidelines are interim only and are subject to revision, until we can complete consultation with the unions.
The COVID-19 outbreak may cause individuals to experience stress that can be overwhelming. Stress can manifest in various forms, including:
- feeling overwhelmed or sad
- fear and worry about the health of you and your friends and family
- changes in sleep or eating patterns
- difficulty sleeping or concentrating
- worsening of chronic health problems and mental health conditions
- increased use of alcohol or drugs
A. Coping with Stress
- Be Informed About the Facts of COVID-19
- Understanding the risk and receiving accurate information about the pandemic can reduce stress.
- Care for Personal Wellness
- There are ways individuals can cope with stress, including by eating well, getting enough sleep, avoiding alcohol and drugs, engaging in relaxing activities, and talking with others.
B. Mental Health Resources
- If you are experiencing an emergency or believe you are a danger to yourself and/or others, please call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
- Hilo Medical Center, (808) 932-3000, 1190 Waianuenue St, Hilo, HI 96720
- Urgent Care, (808) 969-3051, 670 Kekuanaoa St, Hilo, HI 96720
- Hale Ho'ola Hamakua, (808) 932-4100, 45-547 Plumeria St, Honoka‘a, HI 96727
- Ka‘u Hospital, (808) 932-4200, 1 Kamani St, Pahala, HI 96777
- North Hawaiʻi Community Hospital, (808) 885-4444, 67-1125 Mamalahoa Hwy, Kamuela, HI 96743
- Kohala Hospital, (808) 889-6211, 54-383 Hospital Road, Kapa‘au, HI 96755
- Kona Community Hospital, (808) 322-9311, 79-1019 Haukapila St, Kealakekua, HI 96750
The University's Employee Assistance Program , Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
- Employee Assistance of the Pacific: 808-597-8222 or Toll-Free (877) 597-8222
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
State CARES Hotline (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- O‘ahu: (808) 832-3100; Neighbor Islands: 1-800-753-6879
Crisis Text Line
- Text “HELLO” or “ALOHA” to 741-741
The Disaster Distress Helpline
- 1-800-985-5990 or Text TalkWithUS to 66746