UH Hilo - No Restrictions for Food Service at Events (Nov 14, 2022)
UH System Announcement - Face masks no longer required on UH campuses after Friday, Sept. 16
Students and Employees who test positive for COVID-19 or have COVID-19 symptoms are to contact the UH Hilo Campus Security Office at (808) 974-7911 (on campus extension 7911)
Updated Guidelines for Positive Cases and Exposures as of August 12, 2022
Please see the COVID-19 Info for Students and Employees for additional information
On this page:
- COVID-19 Info for Students and Employees (updated 31 May 2022)
- Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds
- Campus Updates (updated 22 March 2022)
- Building and Office Hours (updated 6 July 2021)
New and Important Information
- See Chancellor Irwin’s statement on 2022 semesters below, posted December 2, 2021.
- Read our Interim COVID-19 Guidelines for policies and procedures, updated August 16, 2021.
- UH Hilo is a proud #OurKuleana Pledge Partnerjoining other Hawaiʻi Island organizations in helping to stop the spread of COVID-19. As a member of our UH Hilo ‘ohana, please continue to do your part by adhering to campus guidelines.
COVID-19 Info for Students and Employees
Last updated 9 September 2022.
Message from President Lassner
Aloha students, faculty and staff,
The remaining face masks requirements on UH campuses and properties will be lifted after Friday, September 16. Masks are currently required in classrooms, shared laboratory spaces and confined educational spaces in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 within our community.
The decision by UH leadership is based on the recommendation of our own medical and public health experts, as well as the latest federal and state guidance. It recognizes that the rate of COVID-19 community transmission is no longer disrupting daily life, and that most of the infections that are still occurring are not life-threatening and are not resulting in hospitalizations. UH will continue to remain highly vigilant, and COVID-19 restrictions may be quickly reinstated, if conditions change and warrant stronger measures.
As we move forward, please respect the choices of every individual to wear a face mask, and please abide by signs that may be posted outside individual offices requesting that masks be worn for the protection of others. We have many in our community at higher risk due to personal health and underlying conditions, and we want to keep them safe and feeling secure on our campuses. In addition, masking is still strongly encouraged in crowded indoor spaces.
Please note that masking is required for those who have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or has contracted the virus. They must wear a mask for the duration of the 10-day isolation period. Someone who has been infected may return on day 6 if their symptoms are substantially improved and they have not had any fever in the preceding 24 hours.
Mahalo for all you have done to elevate our collective understanding of personal safety during this devastating pandemic. You have demonstrated our capacity to look beyond ourselves and to care for others.
These changes and other important information are reflected in the updated UH COVID-19 Guidelines.
E mālama pono!
Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds
Please see the UH Hilo report on the The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
For research information about COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 virus itself, please visit Coronavirus: Research, Commentary, and News.
Last updated 22 March 2022.
- Food Services:
- Campus Center Dining Room: Reopens Monday August 23. Fall semester hours Monday-Friday, 10:00am-3:30pm
- Deja Brew at the Library Lanai will reopen Monday August 23. Fall semester hours are Monday-Friday, 7:30am-1:30pm.
- Hale Paʻi ʻAi Food Pantry: closed.
- Parking: now in “non-instructional day” status.
- Performing Arts Center: Limited seating available for upcoming shows. Please visit the Performing Arts Center website for information.
- Student Medical Services: is open Monday-Friday from 8am-12pm, and from 1pm-4pm; closed from 12pm-1pm.
- UH WiFi: available in parking zones 2 and 4.
Building and Office Hours
Last updated 6 July 2021.
Nearly all operations have returned to normal business hours, 7:45am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Refer to office websites for specific hours of operation.