Featured in this week’s issue of Ha‘ilono o UH Hilo (News of UH Hilo): Hokulani Fortunato, U‘ilani Kūali‘i, Bonnie Irwin, and Sheldon Rosa.
Nominations are being accepted for the following 2022 UH Hilo Annual and Biennial Campus Awards. (Use the Google form for nominations, deadline 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022. Questions may be directed to Lei Kapono.)
- Koichi and Taniyo Taniguchi Excellence and Innovation Award. Recognizes creativity in teaching, scholarship, and artistic production at UH Hilo.
- Excellence in Service Award. Recognizes a faculty or professional staff member who provides service-related professional skills to UH Hilo and the community.
- Pūlama ‘Ike Award. Recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to developing and promoting the mission and spirit of UH Hilo.
- Distinguished Service for Improving Student Life Award. Recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to student life beyond the boundaries of their official responsibilities.
- Excellence in Building & Grounds Maintenance Award. Recognizes a building or grounds maintenance employee who has made significant contributions to UH Hilo.
Reminder: The various UH Hilo communication outlets are available for your use to communicate to the campus community. The ʻOhana listserv is the campus interactive email forum. The Employee listservs and UH Announce are not interactive.
WATCH: UH Hilo alumni talk about helping to revitalize Puna after eruption. UH Hilo alumni Hokulani Fortunato and U‘ilani Kūali‘i share how their undergraduate experience led to their community work with the County of Hawai‘i.
Storyteller applications are being accepted for “Tales of Misunderstanding,” the spring 2022 episode of Wailau, through Friday, Feb. 11.
Listen to the latest podcast of Ka Leo o ka Uluau “Modern Konohiki Practices in Miloli‘i, U‘i and Ka‘imi.” Guests U‘i Nāipo and Ka‘imi Kaupiko join our hosts to share about their beloved fishing village of Miloli‘i, its traditions, and ongoing efforts to implement konohiki (resource management) practices today.
COVID-19 Booster and Testing On-Campus Clinic
- The COVID-19 booster is available for employees and all students this Friday, Feb. 11, noon to 4:00 p.m, University Classroom Building, room 127, a first-come, first-served basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Be sure to bring your valid State ID, medical insurance card, and vaccination card to verify previous doses. Employees seeking their first series of vaccinations or COVID testing may also attend. This clinic is also for student testing so please plan accordingly. Everyone’s patience is appreciated.
External Testing Option for Employees and Students
- Clinical Labs statewide. PCR testing. Registration required. Testing by online appointment only; walk-ins not accepted. This program ends February 28, 2022.
Reminder: Free rapid home test kits are available to order at covidtests.gov or usps.com/covidtest. Each address is limited to four kits. You may also purchase up to eight rapid home test kits per month and be reimbursed by your health insurance provider. EUTF has produced its 1st Update and FAQ for EUTF members.
Continue to stay informed through the UH Hilo COVID-19 webpage and the UH System COVID-19 webpage for information and advisories, including the updated interim UH COVID-19 Guidelines, UH COVID-19 Dashboards, and updated interim UH Hilo COVID-19 Guidelines.
“Expedition Dinosaur: Rise of the Mammals,” special traveling exhibit Feb. 9 through March 27, 2022, Tuesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center. Admission. Presented in partnership with Bishop Museum and support from KTA Super Stores.
‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i Month: Upcoming webinar Feb. 9 to honor Princess Ruth Ke‘elikōlani, namesake of UH Hilo’s Hawaiian language college.
“Legacies of Title IX in the Law,” Tuesday, Feb. 8, 6:00 p.m., via Zoom. Register here. Presented by UH in honor of the 50th anniversary of Title IX and to celebrate its major sponsor, Patsy Takemoto Mink.
2022 Spring Welcome, Wednesday, Feb. 9, 10 a.m., PAC. The event is also being livestreamed. Welcome new employees to the UH Hilo ‘ohana and hear remarks from Chancellor Bonnie Irwin.
“The Ball Method,” a film in honor of Black History Month, Wednesday, Feb. 9, 6:00 p.m., University Classroom Building, room 100. LumiSight clearance is required to attend.
For info on events, see UH Hilo Calendar of Events.
Sodexo Family Dinners are back! See here for the Feb. 9 and 11 menus and how to order.
Word of the Week
Above, join Ka Haka ‘Ula O Ke‘elikōlani College of Hawaiian Language student Sheldon Rosa for a lesson on the Hawaiian word of the week. “‘I‘o” is what people eat from various animals. Hua Maka is a weekly video series produced by the college and edited by the UH Hilo Office of University Relations.
In fall and spring semesters, this newsletter is a weekly e-blast of news and information for faculty and staff, produced by University Relations, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo.