Featured in this week’s issue of Ha‘ilono o UH Hilo (News of UH Hilo): Steve Lundblad, April Housman, Bill Mautz, and Kekailiko Medeiros.
The UH Board of Regents will hold a virtual special meeting Thursday, Dec. 16, 2021, at 8:30 a.m. to receive the pre-final master plan for UH-managed lands on Maunakea. The UH community and general public will have nearly six weeks to review the plan and submit testimony as the BOR will not deliberate or take action on the master plan until the next scheduled full board meeting on Jan. 20, 2022. Meetings may be viewed remotely via livestream. More information is available at UH News.
New telework policy and guidelines to go into effect 2022.
Nominations are being accepted for the following 2022 UH Hilo Annual and Biennial Campus Awards. (Use the Google form for nominations, deadline 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022. Questions may be directed to Lei Kapono.)
- Koichi and Taniyo Taniguchi Excellence and Innovation Award. Recognizes creativity in teaching, scholarship, and artistic production at UH Hilo.
- Excellence in Service Award. Recognizes a faculty or professional staff member who provides service-related professional skills to UH Hilo and the community.
- Pūlama ‘Ike Award. Recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution to developing and promoting the mission and spirit of UH Hilo.
- Distinguished Service for Improving Student Life Award. Recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to student life beyond the boundaries of their official responsibilities.
- Excellence in Building & Grounds Maintenance Award. Recognizes a building or grounds maintenance employee who has made significant contributions to UH Hilo.
The Long Range Budget and Planning Committee met Dec. 10, 2021. Click here for meeting notes.
COVID-19 Booster and Testing On-Campus Clinic:
- The COVID-19 booster is available for employees and all students this Friday, Dec. 17, Noon to 2:00 p.m, University Classroom Building, room 127, on a first-come, first-served basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to ensure sufficient supply. Be sure to bring your valid state identification, medical insurance card, and vaccination card to verify previous doses. Employees seeking their first series of vaccinations may also come to this clinic. This clinic is also for student testing so please plan accordingly. Everyone’s patience is appreciated.
External Testing Option for Employees and Students:
- Clinical Labs statewide. PCR testing. Registration required. Testing by online appointment only; walk-ins not accepted.
Continue to stay informed through the UH Hilo COVID-19 webpage and the UH System COVID-19 webpage for information and advisories, including the updated interim UH COVID-19 Guidelines and updated interim UH Hilo COVID-19 Guidelines.
Dates and Deadlines
Final exams and the fall semester end on Friday, Dec. 17, 2021.
Final grades are due in MyUH at noon on Monday, Dec. 20, 2021.
UH Hilo 2021 Fall Commencement will be held in-person with limited attendance, Dec. 18, 2021. This semester, two in-person ceremonies will be held, both under COVID-19 safety protocols. Keynote speaker is Professor Steve Lundblad; student speaker is April Housman.
For more info on events, see UH Hilo Calendar of Events.
Christmas holiday is observed Friday, Dec. 24, 2021.
New Year’s holiday is observed Friday, Dec. 31, 2021.
Professor Emeritus of Biology Bill Mautz has authored an article about finding colonies of a long-lost Hawai‘i skink on the sea cliffs of Hāmākua.
Campus Center Dining Room is open through Friday, Dec. 17, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The dining room re-opens Monday, Jan. 10, 2022.
Deja Brew Coffee Cart is open through Thursday, December 16, 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Deja Brew re-opens Friday, Jan. 7, 2022.
Word of the Week
Join Ka Haka ‘Ula O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language student Kekailiko Medeiros for a lesson on the Hawaiian word of the week. “Lōkahi” is working together as one. Hua Maka is a weekly video series produced by the college and edited by UH Hilo Office of University Relations.
This is the final “Ha‘ilono o UH Hilo” newsletter for 2021, resuming Jan. 11, 2022.
Happy Holidays to you and your ‘ohana!
In fall and spring semesters, this newsletter is a weekly e-blast of news and information for faculty and staff, produced by University Relations, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo.