Featured in this week’s issue of Ha‘ilono o UH Hilo (News of UH Hilo): Bonnie Irwin, Anya Benavides, Celia Bardwell-Jones, Margary Martin, Justina Mattos, and Kekailiko Medeiros.
Read Chancellor Bonnie D. Irwin’s September column: Safety first with COVID-19 as we move the university forward.
Alumna returns to help guide sustainability at UH Hilo. Through a fellowship, Anya Benavides will focus primarily on completing the official STARS report on UH Hilo’s sustainability performance, coordinate students club activities, help establish the academic certificate in sustainability program, and coordinate sustainability and food security efforts with the UH System.
A LumiSight UH check-in is required daily before reporting to campus. Everyone needs a green “You may report to campus” status with the current date on the app to be on campus. Vaccination information or weekly proof of a negative test must be uploaded to the app.
UH Hilo will provide free testing and vaccination on campus for students only Thursday, September 9, noon to 4:00 p.m., University Classroom Building, room 127. No sign-up is necessary; valid picture ID required.
Continue to stay informed through the UH Hilo COVID-19 webpage and the UH System COVID-19 webpage for information and advisories, including the updated interim UH COVID-19 Guidelines and updated interim UH Hilo COVID-19 Guidelines.
- Last Day to Apply for Fall 2021 Graduation, Friday, September 10
- Last Day to Exercise Credit/No Credit, Friday, September 10
- Last Day to Submit Auditor’s Form, Friday, September 10
- 2021 Fall Welcome, Wednesday, September 8, 2 p.m., via Zoom. Meeting ID: 962 3196 7643; Passcode: 174526. Introduction of new employees, tenure and promotion recognition, and remarks from Chancellor Irwin.
- “Ethics of Diversity and Understanding Microaggressions in Conservation Fields” by Celia Bardwell-Jones, Chair of Humanities, Professor of Philosophy, and Margary Martin, Associate Professor of School of Education and Director of the Place-Based and Social Emotional Learning Center, Thursday, September 9, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m., via Zoom. Meeting ID: 942 4723 6093 Passcode: ethics
- UH Hilo fall production: Play focusing on impacts of 9/11 debuts on the historical date. Marking 20 years since the tragic events of 9/11, UH Hilo presents Banyan, a play written by Lifetime Member of the Dramatists Guild Jeannie Barroga and directed by UH Hilo Associate Professor of Drama Justina Mattos. Filmed over the summer, the show will be online Saturday through Monday, September 11 – 13. Viewing link available September 11. Presented by UH Hilo Department of Performing Arts and the Performing Arts Center.
For more info on events, see UH Hilo Calendar of Events.
The UH Hilo Lactation Room in the Campus Center is available to employees and students Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. To reserve the room or to check on availability, go to Campus Center Room 210, call 932-7365, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Must provide own pump and supplies. Email Annette Sugimoto or call 932-7626 to report any concerns.
Word of the Week
Above: Join Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language student Kekailiko Medeiros, for a lesson on the Hawaiian word of the week. “Ha‘aha‘a” describes the pleasant, modest and respectful nature of a person. Hua Maka is a weekly video series produced by the college and edited by UH Hilo Office of University Relations.
In fall and spring, this newsletter is a weekly e-blast of news and information for faculty and staff, produced by University Relations, University of Hawai‘i at Hilo.