Several members of the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo community received annual campus awards at a celebration held May 3, 2019.
Photos by Raiatea Arcuri for UH Hilo Stories.
Open Education Innovation Award
- Harald Barkhoff, Kinesiology & Exercise Sciences
- Aaron Tresham, Mathematics
Faculty Mentorship Award
- Julie Adrian, Pharmacy
- Philippe Binder, Physics
- Randy Hirokawa, Communication
- Marina Karidas, Sociology
- Steven Lundblad, Geology
- Faith Mishina, Language
- Matt Platz, Chemistry
- Mike Shintaku, Plant Pathology
- Tracy Wiegner, Marine Science
Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activity
Tracy Wiegner, Professor of Marine Science. Professor Wiegner was unable to attend the event.
Student Employee of the Year
- Christopher Wung, First Year Experience Office
Outstanding University Support Employee
- Marsha Oshiro, Secretary, College of Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management
Professional Staff Award
- Sherrie Padilla, Enrollment Services Manager and Director of Financial Aid.
Koichi and Taniyo Taniguchi Award for Excellence and Innovation
- Cheryl Gansecki, Lecturer in Geology
- Steven Lundblad, Professor of Geology
A special (and surprise ) tribute, organized by members of the Faculty Congress, was given to Interim Chancellor Marcia Sakai, who will be leaving the position on July 1 when the new permanent chancellor begins her tenure.
About the photographer: Raiatea Arcuri is a professional photographer majoring in business at UH Hilo.