Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
Note: The Certificate of Forest Resource Management and Conservation is undergoing review. Students are advised to consult with a Agriculture advisor before pursuing this program of study.
The Certificate of Forest Resource Management and Conservation is a multi-disciplinary program that emphasizes a theoretical and applied approach to forest resource management, forest ecosystem restoration, and natural resource conservation. This certificate program prepares students for employment with organizations such as The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), DLNR’s Division of Forestry and Wildlife, and private consulting firms, and public organizations including the National Park Service and USDA Forest Service, and other similar organization involved in ecosystem management and ecological restoration. The certificate also is useful for advanced studies in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding in the profession of Forestry, especially current applications of forestry principles and practices.
- Describe and draw connections among natural, agricultural, and land-use processes influencing the tropical forest ecosystems.
- Able to analyze watershed data utilizing GIS mapping techniques and able to develop and implement a forest conservation plan.
- Familiar with typical best management practices (BMP’s).
- Assess, comprehend, and synthesize a broad range of scientific and social-economic information to professionally present policy recommendations and research directives for forest conservation issues.
Requirements (21 credits with prerequisite):
- Prerequisites (3):
- MATH 121 Intro Stats & Prob (3) or BIOL 280 Biostatistics (3)
- Required Courses (18):
- FOR 202 Forestry & Natural Resources (3) or NRES 196 Intro to Natural Resource Mgmt (3)
- NRES 430 GIS Application in Nat Res Mgt (3) or GEOG 480 Geog Info Sys & Visualization (3)
- NRES 410 Invasive Species & Ecosystems (3) or BIOL 381 Conservation Biology (3)
- FOR 440 Forest Ecosyst Restoration/Mgt (3)
- NRES 420 Hydrology and Watershed Mgmt (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Livestock Production Specialty
- Energy Science Certificate
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems Certificate
- Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
- Agriculture: Aquaculture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty
- Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
- Agriculture Minor
- Beekeeping Certificate
- Forest Resource Management and Conservation Certificate
- Plant Tissue Culture Certificate
- Tropical Farming Certificate
- Special CAFNRM Programs
- CAFNRM Courses