Catalog 2017–2018: B.S. in Geology Requirements
This is content from the Catalog 2017–2018 back issue. Please visit the current catalog for current information.
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (73 credits)
All required Courses in GEOL in Group 2, Major Requirements, must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- Required Courses from Geology
- GEOL 111-111L Understanding the Earth (3), Understanding the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 112-112L Hist of the Earth & Its Life (3), History of the Earth Lab (1)
- GEOL 212 Earth Materials I: Minerals (4)
- GEOL 320 Erth Mat II: Igneous/Meta Rock (4)
- GEOL 330 Deformation of the Earth (4)
- GEOL 340 Sedimentary Processes (4)
- GEOL 342 Earth Surface Processes (3)
- GEOL 370 Field Methods (3)
- GEOL 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- And twelve additional semester hours in GEOL courses at the 300- or 400-level. (12)
- Required Courses from Related Fields
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- ENG 225 Writng for Sci & Technology (3)
- MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 206 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Geology
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- At least 32 credits must be earned in courses at the 300- or 400-level. Courses in Group 2 supply 32 of these credits.
- Students preparing for graduate school should consider taking a summer field course in Geology and possibly MATH 300 Ordinary Diff Equations (3) (Ordinary Differential Equations), CS 150 Intro To Computer Science I (3) (Introduction to Computer Science), or PHYS 260 Computational Physics & Astron (3) (Computational Physics and Astronomy).
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Geology, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.