Catalog 2017–2018: B.S. in Astronomy Requirements
This is content from the Catalog 2017–2018 back issue. Please visit the current catalog for current information.
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2011
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements
Required courses in Astronomy and Physics (53 credits)
- ASTR 110L Gen Astronomy Lab (1)
- ASTR 180 Princ Of Astron I (3)
- ASTR 181 Princ Of Astron II (3)
- ASTR 250-250L Observational Astronomy (3), Observational Astronomy Lab (2)
- ASTR/PHYS 260-260L Computational Physics & Astron (3), Computational Phys & Astr Lab (1)
- ASTR 350-350L Stellar Astrophysics (3), Stellar Astrophysics Lab (2)
- ASTR 351-351L Galactic & Extragal Astrophys (3), Galactic & Extragal Astr Lab (2)
- ASTR 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- PHYS 274 Gen Phys III: Intro Modern Phy (3)
- PHYS 331 Optics (3)
- PHYS 341 Thermodynamics (3)
- And 6 credits in additional PHYS or ASTR at the 300- or 400-level, not including ASTR 400 Observatory Internship (1–6)
Required courses in related fields (24 credits)
- CS 150 Intro To Computer Science I (3)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- MATH 205-206 Calculus I (4), Calculus II (4)
- MATH 231-232 Calculus III (3), Calculus IV (3)
- MATH 300 Ordinary Diff Equations (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Astronomy
120 credits required.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- To earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Astronomy, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in the Catalog.)
- A 2.0 or better in every required course for the major is required.
- A minimum of 30 credits is required at the 300- or 400-level.
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.