Catalog 2017–2018: BBA in Accounting
This is content from the Catalog 2017–2018 back issue. Please visit the current catalog for current information.
General Education Pre-Business Requirements
- ENG 100 Composition I (3), ENG 100T Composition with Tutorial (3), ESL 100 Composition/Nonnative Speakers (3), or ESL 100T Composition/Non-nativeTutorial (3), with a "C" or better
G3. Quantitative Reasoning
- One MATH course numbered 125, 135, 205 or higher, with "C" or better
- QBA 260 Business Statistics (3), with "C" or better
G6. Social Sciences
Note: All remaining General Education Requirements must also be met.
Pre Business Core Requirements
Each Pre-Business core course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- ACC 201 Intro to Financial Accounting (3)
- ACC 202 Intro to Managerial Accounting (3)
- BUS 110 Freshmen Business Experience (3)
- BUS 240 Business Law (3)
- BUS 290 Critical Thinking (3)
- ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- ECON 131 Intro To Macroeconomics (3)
- ECON 300 Inter Macroecon Theory (3)
- ECON 340 Money & Banking (3)
- ENG 209 Writing for Business (3) or ENG 287 Introduction to Rhetoric (3)
- QBA 260 Business Statistics (3)
Transfer students may substitute BUS 100 Intro To Business (3) for BUS 110 Freshmen Business Experience (3).
Professional Business Core Requirements
For initial enrollment in upper division (300-400 level) Business Administration students must have:
- Filed a formal declaration of intent to major in Business Administration by 4 weeks in advance of scheduled early registration
- Completed 50 or more earned semester hours at the 100 level or higher
- Attained a minimum GPA of 2.0 on work completed at UH-Hilo (transfer students meeting other requirements may be provisionally admitted during their first semester at UH-Hilo, but will be required to earn aat least a 2.5 GPA on their first 12 credits at UH-Hilo for continued enrollment in upper division business courses.)
- Successfully completed all course specific prerequisites
Each Business core course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- MGT 300 Mgt, Orgs & Human Behavior (3)
- MGT 333 International Business Mgt (3)
- MKT 310 Princ of Marketing (3)
- FIN 320 Prin Bus Finance (3)
- QBA 300 Operations Management (3)
- QBA 362 Mgt Information Systems (3)
- MGT 423 Business & Society (3)
- MGT 490 Strategic Mgt (3)
Accounting Major Requirements
18 semester hours; each course must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
The BBA in Accounting requires the successful completion of all core requirements for the BBA degree. Eighteen semester hours in Accounting must be earned in courses at the 300- or 400-level, in place of the 18 semester hours in business electives at the 300- or 400-level required as part of the BBA in General Business degree.
- Accounting Core: 15 semester hours as follows:
- ACC 350 Intermediate Acc I (3)
- ACC 351 Intermediate Acc II (3)
- ACC 352 Individual & Business Taxation (3)
- ACC 353 Cost Accounting (3)
- ACC 454 Auditing (3)
- Accounting Electives: 3 semester hours from the following:
- ACC 355 Advanced Topics in Taxation (3)
- ACC 358 Governmental Accounting (3)
- ACC 400 Internship in Accounting (3)
- ACC 494 Special Topics in Subject Matter (To Be Arranged) (Varies with Topic)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.B.A. in Accounting
121 credits required.
- The State of Hawaiʻi requires 150 semester hours of college to obtain a permit to practice as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Additional semester hours in business earned past the 121 semester hours required for the B.B.A. with Major in Accounting degree will apply towards this requirement.
- Residence Requirement: B.B.A. candidates must complete at least 24 of the credits used to satisfy upper-division Business core, Accounting core, and Business or Accounting elective requirements while in residence at UH Hilo.
- BBA in General Business
- BBA in Accounting
- Business Administration Minor
- Economics (ECON) Courses
- Economics Minor
- Asia-Pacific-US Economic Relations Certificate
- Business Administration Certificate
- International Studies Certificate, Tourism Concentration
- Finance Certificate
- Accounting Certificate
- Accounting (ACC) Courses
- Business (BUS) Courses
- Finance (FIN) Courses
- Management (MGT) Courses
- Marketing (MKT) Courses
- Quantitative Business Analysis (QBA) Courses
- Tourism (TOUR) Courses