State of Hawai╩╗i Financial Aid

UH Hilo Opportunity and Achievement Grants

Opportunity and Achievement Grants may be available to resident students who are in need of financial assistance or to resident or nonresident students who merit assistance because of their achievement or service to the University. All applicants must be enrolled or planning to enroll as a classified student at least half-time.

Opportunity Grants based on financial need do not require specific application forms other than those required for the student financial aid programs, i.e., Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Application forms for Achievement Grants are available at the following offices:

  • College of Arts and Sciences
  • College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resource Management
  • Ka Haka ╩╗Ula O Ke╩╗elik┼Źlani College of Hawaiian Language
  • College of Business and Economics
  • College of Pharmacy
  • Athletics

Opportunity Grants for Students of Hawaiian Ancestry

Students of Hawaiian ancestry from outside Hawai╩╗i automatically qualify for residency. In addition, there are a limited number of Opportunity Grants available for students of Hawaiian ancestry.

Application forms for these need-based Opportunity Grants are available at the respective UH Hilo offices as follows:

  • Ka Haka ╩╗Ula O Ke╩╗elik┼Źlani College of Hawaiian Language
  • Hawaiian Leadership Development/Student Support Services/Minority Access and Achievement Program

Pacific Islander Scholarship

Effective with the Fall 2007 semester, UH Hilo has established a Pacific Islander Scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:

  • be accepted by the UH Hilo Admissions Office with a residency status of Pacific Islander Non-Resident Exempt. The residency status is reflected on the acceptance letter issued by the Admissions Office
  • Demonstrate financial need. Financial need is demonstrated by applying for financial aid, using the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • Be a new student entering UH Hilo in Fall 2007 or later, or returning to UH Hilo in Fall 2007 or later after taking a break from enrollment at UH Hilo.
  • Enroll as a classified student in either an undergraduate, graduate, or post-baccalaureate program.
  • Enroll at least half-time (6 or more credits per semester if an undergraduate).

Students do not need to submit an application form except for the FAFSA; eligible students automatically will be considered for this scholarship.

International Students

A limited number of Achievement Grants may be available to international students. Contact the Center for Global Education and Exchange at (808) 932-7489 or (808) 932-7488 or fax (808) 932-7487.

Students with Disabilities

The University Disability Services Office offers a Scholars with Disabilities Achievement Grant for UH Hilo student's with a 3.5 GPA and with a qualifying disability. Application forms are available from the University Disability Services Office: V (808) 932-7623, TTY (808) 932-7002, or