Contact: Student Medical Services
Please mail, fax or File Drop (Recipient email: firstname.lastname@example.org) our Health Requirements form (PDF) to our Clinic before the deadline.
Please do not email the form to us, for security reasons.
Mandatory Health Requirements
I. Tuberculosis Clearance: TB requirement must be met before attending classes.
- U.S. Students: A TB Risk Assessment and or a tuberculin test (PPD/Mantoux) is required for clearance. If positive, a chest x-ray done in the United States or by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment is required.
- International Students including students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau: All students must have a tuberculin skin test (PPD/Mantoux) performed in the U.S. or its Territories by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment. If the TB test is given in a foreign country, the healthcare provider must document their license number and U.S. State from which it is issued. Upon arrival on campus, TB tests may be taken at Student Medical Services . A follow-up chest x-ray may be required if the TB skin test is positive.
- IGRAs (Interferon-Gamma Release Assays) Blood test, QFT-GIT (QuantiFeron-TB Gold-in-Tube test), and T-Spot TB test done in the United States are accepted for TB clearance.
- Returning/Transferring Students from a post-secondary Hawaiʻi school: Students who are re-enrolling at UH Hilo after an absence of 1 year or more or transferring from another post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi, may be cleared on the basis of their original certificate. Submit your original TB and MMR record or check with SMS if you have already submitted it. Those with a history of a positive TB test and a negative chest x-ray must complete the Tuberculosis Symptom Screening Form (PDF), linked on the Forms page.
You must provide documentation of:
- Two doses of live measles-containing vaccine, with at least one being an MMR is required, of students born after 1956. The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months-of-age and after January 1, 1968. Dose 2 must have been given at least a month after the first dose. Titers will no-longer be accepted.
- Two dose of Varicella (Chicken pox), exemption given to individuals born before 1980 or those with a documented disease by a medical provider.
- One dose of Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis)
- If it is your first year at your campus, living in a dormitory/residence hall, and <21 years of age you are required to have been vaccinated with MCV (Meningococcal Conjugate).
See our Clinic schedule for TB clearances and immunizations.