Healthcare Leadership Certificate
The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate provides PharmD students a basic foundation in business administration, with a concentration in healthcare leadership. Students who complete this program will gain an understanding of the business-side of the healthcare industry, with an emphasis on pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical industry. This certificate program prepares PharmD graduates to be more competitive for a variety of positions in the job market, particularly those involving pharmacy management, leadership, and innovation.
This mission of this certificate program is to produce PharmD graduates who are more competitive for a variety of positions in the job market, particularly those involving pharmacy management, leadership, and innovation.
Student Learning Objectives
- Describe basic concepts of accounting, financial statements, human resources functions, compensation and incentives, performance management, production and operations, project management, marketing, strategy, organizational culture, corporate social responsibility, and related federal regulations;
- Design and track variance from a budget
- Analyze a variety of industries and competitive situations within the context of a global market environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare systems, legal and ethical issues in pharmacy, pharmacoeconomics, strategic management, and leadership.
- Integrate the knowledge from previous courses in the certificate program and demonstrate the appropriate use of this knowledge within an unstructured case.
- Apply knowledge from previous courses to address a real-world pharmacy leadership issue in an advanced experiential setting.
- Student must have completed P1 (first year) in the PharmD program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in the certificate program
- Student must not be on probation
Certificate Curriculum (23 Credits)
Elective Courses (10 credits)
- PHPP 558 Business Admin Overview (1)
- PHPP 557 Personal Finance (1)
- PHPP 535 Healthcare Leadership (1)
- PHPP 536 Strategic Management (1)
- PHAR 585 Adv Pharm Prac Exp Elec II (6) OR PHAR 586 Adv Pharm Prac Exp Elec III (6)
Core PharmD Courses (13 credits)
- PHAR 555 Pharmacy Informatics and Tech (2)
- PHAR 526 Topics in Healthcare I (1)
- PHAR 546 Topics in Healthcare II (3)
- PHAR 566 Topics in Healthcare III (3)
- PHAR 530 Princ of Pharm Readiness III (1)
- PHAR 540 Princ of Pharm Readiness IV (1)
- PHAR 550 Princ of Pharm Readiness V (1)
- PHAR 560 Princ of Pharm Readiness VI (1)