Healthcare Leadership Certificate
This certificate program is designed to give PharmD students a basic foundation in business administration, with a concentration in healthcare leadership. Students who complete this program will have a better understanding of the business side of the healthcare industry, particularly in pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical industry.
The mission of this certificate program is to produce PharmD graduates who are more competitive for a variety of positions in the job market, particularly those involving pharmacy management, leadership, and innovation.
Student Learning Objectives
- Describe basic concepts of accounting, financial statements, human resources functions, compensation and incentives, performance management, production and operations, project management, marketing, strategy, organizational culture, corporate social responsibility, and related federal regulations;
- Design and track variance from a budget
- Develop, apply, and evaluate simple models for business forecasting
- Apply the basic knowledge of managerial economics into pricing for profits
- Analyze a variety of industries and competitive situations within the context of a global market environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare systems, legal and ethical issues in pharmacy, and pharmacoeconomics.
- Integrate the knowledge from previous courses in the certificate program and demonstrate the appropriate use of this knowledge within an unstructured case.
- Apply knowledge from previous courses to address a real-world pharmacy leadership issue in an advanced experiential setting.
Program Prerequisite Requirements
- Must have completed P1 (first year) in the PharmD program with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in the certificate program
- Must not be on probation
Requirements (24 Credits)
Students must complete 24 credits, including 14 elective credits
- PHPP 558 Business Admin Overview (1)
- PHPP 557 Personal Finance (1)
- PHPP 544 Adv Pharm Pract Exp: Elect I (6) or PHPP 545 Adv Pharm Prac Exp: Elect II (6)
- ECON 430 Quantitative Forecasting (3)
- MGT 490 Strategic Mgt (3)
Courses Taken by all PharmD Students:
- PHPP 519 Health Care Systems (2)
- PHPP 520 Pharmacy Law and Ethics (3)
- PHPP 522 Pharm Practice Mgmt & Mktng (2)
- PHPP 524 Pharmacoeconomics (2)