Healthcare Leadership Certificate
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate provides PharmD students a basic foundation in business administration, with a concentration in healthcare leadership. Students who complete this program will gain an understanding of the business-side of the healthcare industry, with an emphasis on pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical industry.
This mission of this certificate program is to produce PharmD graduates who are more competitive for a variety of positions in the job market, particularly those involving pharmacy management, leadership, and innovation.
Student Learning Objectives
- Describe basic concepts of accounting, financial statements, human resources functions, compensation and incentives, performance management, production and operations, project management, marketing, strategy, organizational culture, corporate social responsibility, and related federal regulations;
- Design and track variance from a budget
- Analyze a variety of industries and competitive situations within the context of a global market environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of healthcare systems, legal and ethical issues in pharmacy, pharmacoeconomics, strategic management, and leadership.
- Integrate the knowledge from previous courses in the certificate program and demonstrate the appropriate use of this knowledge within an unstructured case.
- Apply knowledge from previous courses to address a real-world pharmacy leadership issue in an advanced experiential setting.
Requirements (19 Credits)
Elective Courses (10 credits):
- PHPP 558 Business Admin Overview (1)
- PHPP 557 Personal Finance (1)
- PHPP 535 Healthcare Leadership (1)
- PHPP 536 Strategic Management (1)
- PHPP 544 Adv Pharm Pract Exp: Elect I (6) or PHPP 545 Adv Pharm Prac Exp: Elect II (6)
Core PharmD Courses (9 credits):
- PHPP 519 Health Care Systems (2)
- PHPP 520 Pharmacy Law and Ethics (3)
- PHPP 522 Pharm Practice Mgmt & Mktng (2)
- PHPP 524 Pharmacoeconomics (2)
- Student must have completed P1 (first year) in the PharmD program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- Student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better to remain in the certificate program
- Student must not be on probation