Federal Aid Programs

UH Hilo participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, and Federal Work-Study Programs. All programs require the annual submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Veterans Benefits

Certain instructional units at UH Hilo are approved for Veterans Administration (VA) educational benefits. Eligible students may receive financial assistance as provided by the Veterans Readjustment Benefit Act and the War Orphans Assistance Act.

Veterans who are registered for the first time with UH Hilo using veterans benefits must provide a current Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of the Registrar. Dependents of disabled veterans and survivors of veterans whose injury or cause of death was service-related, who register for the first time under any provision of the Federal Veterans Bill, must present their Certificate of Eligibility and must have their VA File number.

All veterans must contact the Office of the Registrar after completing each semester’s registration in order to continue receiving benefits by completing their Veteran Enrollment Verification Form. This form must be submitted each semester and can be found online Veteran Forms. The Office of the Registrar must also be contacted if any registration changes are made after submission of the Veteran Enrollment Verification Form. Any changes not reported may result in repayment of VA educational benefits issued.

Veteran enrollment will be continuously submitted to the Department of Veteran Affairs throught the semester, no more than 30 days after our institution is notified of enrollment or disenrollment. The Department of Veteran Affairs makes the final decision on amounts to be paid to the student and the institution on behalf of the student.

If a student intends to use tuition assistance, please be sure to review program policies prior to submitting any paper work for that semester. All programs available to veterans/children of veterans are administered through the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar.  If you are eligible for assistance through these programs, please contact the Office of the Registrar.  Questions concerning eligibility may be directed to the Veterans Administration by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551).

Public Law 115-407, Sections 103 and 104

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679(e) of title 38 (Public Law 115-407), a student who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill¼ benefits shall be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a Certificate of Eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 (a “Certificate of Eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility.

The University shall not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require the student to borrow additional funds, in order to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.

GI BillÂź is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

AmeriCorps National Service

In exchange for a year of service, AmeriCorps members receive an education award to help pay off student loans or help finance their education. During term of service, AmeriCorps members earn a living allowance and may qualify to defer their existing student loans. To receive AmeriCorps NCCC applications or more information about opportunities with AmeriCorps, please call the AmeriCorps hotline at 1-800-942-2677, ext (TDD 1-800-833-3722) or visit https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.