Exceptions to Academic Regulations

Any student may petition the University for a waiver of or other exception to any academic policy or regulation. If the request involves a requirement for a major or minor, the petition goes to the chair of the department. If it involves a General Education or graduation requirement, the petition goes to the dean of the student’s college. The petition should include clear and convincing justification for the action requested as well as appropriate documentation, such as syllabi or catalog course descriptions of the courses in question. The course being used in lieu of a requirement does not override any pre-requisites set on a course and is used for graduation purposes only.

Request for Modification of Academic Requirement forms may be obtained in any of the CAS Division Offices, each of the college dean’s offices, and the Office of the Registrar , or online at Office of the Registrar's forms.