B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements (84-86 credits)
- Agriscience Requirements (70)
- AG 200 Agro-Environmental Science Com (3)
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 291 Directed Work Experience Pgm (3)
- AG 375 Intro To Genetic Analysis (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar in Agriculture (1)
- AGBU 110 Microcomputing for Ag (3)
- AGBU 320 Agribus Management (3) or AGEC 330 Farm Management (3)
- AGEC 201 Agri Economics (3) or ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- AGEN 231 Intro To Ag Mech (3)
- ANSC 141 Intro To An Science (3)
- ENTO 304 General Entomology (3)
- HORT 262 Princ Of Hort (3)
- HORT 264 Plant Propagation (3)
- HORT 481 Weed Science (3)
- PPHY 310 Plant Growth/Develop (3)
- PPTH 301 Trop Plant Pathology (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
- Select 7 Other Agriculture Courses: At least 12 credits must be 300- or 400-level (Upper Division). Total of 21 credits
- Supplemental Requirements (14-16)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1)
- Chemistry (Choose one sequence of the following three sequences) (7-8):
- Sequence 1: CHEM 151-151L Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3), Elementary Survey of Chem Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- Sequence 2: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- Sequence 3: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- One MATH Course numbered 121, 125, 135 or higher (3-4)
Group 3. Electives, To be determined
Elective hours will vary depending upon which GE courses are selected by the student.
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Plant Science and Agroecology Specialty
123 credits required.