B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty Requirements
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements (87-89 credits)
- Agriscience Requirements (70)
- AG 200 Agro-Environmental Science Com (3)
- AG 291 Directed Work Experience Pgm (3)
- AG 375 Intro To Genetic Analysis (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar in Agriculture (1)
- AGBU 110 Microcomputing for Ag (3)
- AGEC 201 Agri Economics (3) or ECON 130 Intro To Microeconomics (3)
- AGEC 330 Farm Management (3) or AGBU 320 Agribus Management (3)
- AGEN 231 Intro To Ag Mech (3)
- ANSC 141 Intro To An Science (3)
- ENTO 304 General Entomology (3)
- HORT 262 Princ Of Hort (3)
- HORT 264 Plant Propagation (3)
- HORT 481 Weed Science (3)
- PPTH 301 Trop Plant Pathology (3)
- PPHY 310 Plant Growth/Develop (3)
- SOIL 304 Tropical Soils (3)
- Choose six courses totaling 18–21 credits from the following Tropical Horticulture production courses:
- HORT 263 Hydroponics (3)
- HORT 266 Nursery Management (4)
- HORT 303 Intro Plant Tissue Culture (3)
- HORT 304 Plant Tissue Culture Acclimatz (3)
- HORT 350 Trop Landscape Horticulture (3)
- HORT 351 Veg Crop Production (3)
- HORT 352 Trop Fruit Production (3)
- HORT 354 Floriculture (4)
- HORT 360 Orchidology (4)
- HORT 450 Adv Plant Tissue Cult (3)
- Choose other Agricultural courses totaling 3–6 credits depending on total credit hours taken in Tropical Horticulture production courses.
- Supplemental Requirements (17–19)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1)
- Chemistry (Choose one sequence of the following three sequences):
- Sequence 1: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- Sequence 2: CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- Sequence 3: CHEM 151-151L Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3), Elementary Survey of Chem Lab (1) and CHEM 141 Surv Organ Chem & Biochem (3)
- ENG 225 Writng for Sci & Technology (3)
- One MATH Course numbered 115, 125, 135 or higher (3-4)
Group 3. Electives, To be determined
Elective hours will vary depending upon which GE courses are selected by the student
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Tropical Horticulture Specialty
123 credits required.