B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science, Pre-Veterinary Specialty Requirements
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements (85-86 credits)
- Agriscience Requirements (37)
- AG 230 Sustainable Agriculture (3)
- AG 375 Intro To Genetic Analysis (3) or BIOL 376 Genetics (3)
- AG 496 Senior Seminar in Agriculture (1)
- AGBU 110 Microcomputing for Ag (3)
- ANSC 141 Intro To An Science (3)
- ANSC 254 Fundamentals of Nutrition (3)
- ANSC 321 Applied Animal Nutrition (3)
- ANSC 350 Anatomy/Physiol Of Farm Animal (3)
- ANSC 445 An Breeding/Genetics (3)
- ANSC 450 Physiology Reproduction (3)
- Choose three courses from the following ANSC courses:
- ANSC 342 Beef Cattle Production (3)
- ANSC 351 Swine Production (3)
- ANSC 353 Horse Production (3)
- ANSC 355 Goat & Sheep Production (3)
- Supplemental Requirements (48-49)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1)
- BIOL 172-172L Introductory Biology II (3), Introductory Biology II Lab (1)
- BIOL 275-275L Fund Microbiology (3), Microbiology Lab (1)
- BIOL 280 Biostatistics (3)
- BIOL 410 Biochemistry (3)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- CHEM 241-241L Organic Chem I (3), Organic Chem I Lab (1)
- CHEM 242-242L Organic Chem II (3), Organic Chem II Lab (1)
- ENG 225 Writng for Sci & Technology (3)
- MATH (Choose one course from the following courses):
- MATH 135 Precalc: Elementary Functions (3)
- MATH 140 Precalc:Trig/Analytic Geometry (3)
- MATH 140X Precalculus (4)
- MATH 241 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 242 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 151-151L College Physics I (3), College Physics I Lab (1)
- PHYS 152-152L College Physics II (3), College Physics II Lab (1)
Group 3. Electives, To be determined
Elective hours will vary depending upon which GE courses are selected by the student.
See your advisor for possible electives to help you qualify for pharmacy and medical programs.
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.S. in Agriculture: Animal Science—Pre-Veterinary Specialty
123 credits required.