B.A. in Art Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (45 credits)
1. Foundation Studio Program (15)
- ART 112 Introduction to Digital Media (3)
- ART 121 FP Studio: Beg Drawing (3)
- ART 122 FP Studio: Beginning Painting (3)
- ART 123 FP Studio: 2-D Design (3)
- ART 124 FP Studio: 3-D Design (3)
2. Studio Specialization (18)
- 18 additional credits in studio art, 6 credits of which must be at the 300- or 400-level.
3. Art History Requirement (12)
- ART 175 Survey of World Art I (3) Survey of World Art I (3)
- ART 176 Survey of World Art II (3) Survey of World Art II (3)
- And 6 credits in additional Upper Division ART Alpha Art History courses (6)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Art
120 credits required.
- A minimum of a 2.0 GPA is required.
- A grade of “C” or better in each course required for the degree.
- The B.A. in Art requires a total of only 30 credits of 300- or 400-level course work because of the number of 100- or 200-level courses required in the major.
- The Foundation Studio Program requirements of 12 credits and ART 112 Introduction to Digital Media (3) should be completed, if possible, during the first two years of study. Juniors and seniors pursue individual art work through their sequence of studio courses.
- Students are encouraged to develop a portfolio of their work.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Art, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.