B.A. in Chemistry: Biosciences Requirements
Group 1. General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements.
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Basic, Area, and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE basic, core, and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (75-77 credits)
- Required courses from Chemistry (38)
- CHEM 161-161L General Chemistry I (3), General Chemistry I Lab (1)
- CHEM 162-162L General Chemistry II (3), General Chemistry II Lab (1)
- CHEM 241-241L Organic Chem I (3), Organic Chem I Lab (1) and CHEM 242-242L Organic Chem II (3), Organic Chem II Lab (1)
- CHEM 320 Descriptive Inorganic Chem (3)
- CHEM 274-274L Principles of Analytical Chem (3), Princ Analytical Chem Lab (2)
- CHEM 350-350L Phys Chem for Life Sci (3), Phys Chem for Life Sci Lab (2)
- CHEM 431-431L Instrumental Analysis (2), Instrumental Analysis Lab (2)
- CHEM 495A-495B Seminar (1), Seminar (1)
- and a minimum of three additional credits in CHEM courses above the 200-level. CHEM 341 Qualitative Org Analysis (2) or CHEM 441 Inter Organic Chem (3) is recommended.
- Required courses from related fields (37)
- MATH 205 Calculus I (4)
- MATH 206 Calculus II (4)
- PHYS 151-151L College Physics I (3), College Physics I Lab (1) or PHYS 170-170L Gen Phys I: Mechanics (4), Gen Phys I Lab (1)
- PHYS 152-152L College Physics II (3), College Physics II Lab (1) or PHYS 272-272L Gen Phys II: Elec & Magnetism (4), Gen Phys II Lab (1)
- BIOL 171-171L Introductory Biology I (3), Introductory Biology I Lab (1)
- BIOL 243-243L Human Anatomy & Physiology I (3), Human Anatomy & Physio I Lab (1)
- BIOL 244-244L Human Anatomy & Physiology II (3), Human Anatomy & Physio II Lab (1)
- BIOL 270 Intermed Cell & Molecular Biol (3)
- BIOL 410 Biochemistry (3)
- BIOL 376 Genetics (3)
Total Semester Hours Required for the BA in Chemistry: Biosciences
120 credits required.
Additional recommended courses include
- Eight semester hours of a foreign language (Spanish or Japanese)
- ENG 225 Writng for Sci & Technology (3)
- MATH 300 Ordinary Diff Equations (3)
- MATH 311 Intro Linear Algebra (3)
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Health Sciences Chemistry majors must take at least 24 credits at the 300- or 400-level.
- To earn a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, students must fulfill the requirements for the major and meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.