The University Concierge offers a Bike Share Program that will allow students without reliable transportation to increase mobility around town. Students can ease car traffic around Hilo, promote physical fitness, and help decrease our dependence on carbon emissions! Borrowing a bike is simple, and we encourage all Vulcans to test-ride our bikes for your short errands.
Where are the bikes?
Bikes are by the University Concierge desk at our designated bike rack located between the Student Services Center and the College of Business building.
Checking out a bike
You can check-in & check-out bikes whenever the University Concierge desk is open.
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.
- Closed Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays
Checking Out a Bike:
- Register for the Bike Share Program online for free.
You need to be at least 18 years and older and only need to do this once per academic year.
- Come to University Concierge desk, located in the Student Services Center (1st Floor).
- Bring your validated UH Hilo ID and contact information
- Check out a bike
- We'll give you your bike number, key to the lock, a front and rear lights, and a card indicating you're registered through our program.
- Upon return, all items need to be returned or you will receive a strike.
- Conduct a safety check on the bike to make sure it's in good working order.
- Have a safe ride around town.
- Check out the safety guidelines from the County of Hawai'i or visit the University Concierge desk to see a bigger poster with information.
Returning the Bike:
Bikes are due back by 3:00 PM the following business day. If they are borrowed on a Friday, bikes are allowed to be out for the weekend, and must be returned the following business day.
When you return the bike, park and securely lock it at the bike rack where you picked it up (next to the Student Services Center), and head inside to the University Concierge Desk. One of our staff members will then check it back in. The bike must be returned in good working condition.
All bicycle loans last for one business day, and must be returned after that time period. Bicycles can be renewed in the event that there is no waitlist for the Bike Share Program.
After a three (3) day continuous rental period, students must wait one day before re-renting a bike. This includes renting over the weekend (rented out on Friday and returned Monday). On the 3rd day or day of return and you'd like to rerent the bike, we will put your name on the daily waitlist and if a bike is available at 3:30pm we will call/email if you are still interested. This allows others to make use of our popular program.
The following dates reference Holidays during the school year:
|Bike Rented On||Bike Due On|
|Bike rented on Friday March 24, 2017||Bike due on Tuesday March 28, 2017 at 9:00 AM|
|Bike rented on Thursday April 13, 2017||Bike due on Monday April 17, 2017 at 9:00 AM|
|Bike rented on Tuesday May 9, 2017||Bike due on Wednesday May 10 at 9:00 AM|
Our bikes will take a brief summer vacation from Wednesday May 10 until June 1 for routine maintenance.
If you notice any problems with the bike during your reservation, please let our staff know so we can get it fixed.
We do not provide a helmet. It is recommended that all riders wear a helmet, so we strongly suggest you bring your own. You can buy a helmet at the Hilo Bike Hub, Mid-Pacific Wheels, or any large retailer that carries bicycles (Wal-Mart, Target, etc).
What if I don’t have my ID with me?
Unfortunately, you will not be able to check out a bike. We only accept UH Hilo Validated Student IDs. Even if you have other forms of ID, it's the UH Hilo ID that verifies you as a current student, faculty, or staff. No Validated UH Hilo ID = No Bike.
How many bikes are available?
We have a limited amount of bikes available. With your kōkua we are able to rent the bikes out consistently and be able to maintain any repairs for future bike-share riders.
Late Fees and Rules
The following information is about our Late Fee Policy:
- If a bike is rented out Monday - Thursday, the rented bike is due at 3:00PM the NEXT business day.
- If a bike is rented out on Friday, the bike is due at 9:00AM Monday.
- If there is a holiday during the week, the University Concierge worker will let you know when the bike is due back.
- If the bike is not returned by the return time, the "Three Strike Policy" will begin to take affect.
Three Strike Policy
- Strike 1:
- After the first time that the bike and/or it's equipment is not returned on time, the student will not be able to rent the bike for 1 week.
- Strike 2:
- This would be your second warning. The bike and/or its equipment will still need to be returned and the student will not be able to rent the bike for 1 month. You could also receive an automatic strike 2 if the bike comes back damaged or equipment is missing and be held to financial obligation to replace.
- Strike 3:
- This would be your final warning. The Bike and/or its equipment will need to be returned, you will not be able to rent out a bike until the next academic year, and held to financial obligation until return.
Estimated charges for lost, stolen, or damaged items:
- Bike - $150-$550 *we've purchased bikes for long lasting quality. Please be respectful and responsible for our bikes.
- Key and Lock- $45
- Lights - $25
- Seat - $30-$40
Note: Regular wear and tear such as a popped tire or scratches will not be charged, although we request that you report any issues. If you do have a popped tire, it will be your responsibility to return the bike back to the University Concierge so we may fix. We request that you immediately report lost or stolen bikes.
What if there are no more bikes available?
Bikes are checked out on a first-come-first-serve system and we do not take reservations. If all of the bikes are checked out, you will have the option to be put onto a waiting list if you choose to wait for a bike. We'll contact you once a bike gets returned and is available for you.
Note: The wait list is only valid for that day and is cleared at the end of the day.
If you needed the bike to go to the store, check out our popular store shuttle option on Friday's and Saturday's. Sign ups start on Monday at the University Concierge or
Cyclist Safety Tips