To be eligible to submit work for the 2022-2023 academic year you must:
- Be an active UH Hilo student during either the Fall 2022 and/or Spring 2023 academic year
- Fall 2022 graduates are eligible to submit
- Submissions must be original work
- Submissions must have been written for, or in conjunction with, a UH Hilo class or affiliated program (such as PIPES)
- Submission must not exceed 4500 words including references, work cited, etc.
- Exceptions may be made for capstone thesis and works done for graduate level classes. If you are interested in submitting with this exception please contact the Hohonu team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you meet these criteria we are excited to publish your work.
Submissions for the Spring 2023 edition are now open. Please submit your work here! The deadlines to submit are as follows:
First Priority Deadline: 11:59pm on November 26, 2022
Second Priority Deadline: 11:59pm on January 11, 2023
Final Deadline: 11:59pm on January 22, 2023
Cover Art Contest
For the 2022-2023 Hohonu publication, we are holding an open call and contest for all artists who are interested in designing the cover of the Hohonu Academic Journal. The art/artist selected will be featured as our cover art for the magazine and will win a $100.00 reward.
To submit your cover art piece, fill out this Google Form.
The Deadline to submit is Friday, January 20th 2023.
The theme for this year's Hohonu Academic Journal is development of community and its role in our growth. As UH Hilo fully reopens, we’re seeing the unique opportunities that once dominated this campus arise once more. Through our UH Hilo ʻohana, we foster personal and academic growth. For the cover art submission, we want to submit the work you feel best represents our unique campus ‘ohana, and its aid in the journeys of our students. The cover art should highlight the unique voices at the campus and the supportive community which serves to ultimately make academic writing accessible. So please, send us what you feel best represents the theme and what you think would help catch the attention of UH Hilo students.
- Must be a current student at UH Hilo or HawCC.
- Must be 8.5"x11" in size (with the large possibility of adding possible 1/2"-1" in the middle for perfect binding)
- Please note that you may be asked to resize your submission at a later date
- May be drawn, but must be submitted as a .pdf (Digital file), .ai (Illustrator file), or .eps file to preserve PPI (Image Quality). If only able to submit as a psd. (Photoshop) file, please contact email@example.com for further instruction.