March wasnʻt only a busy time when it came to studying and tests!
Here are some visual highlights in Sustainability for March:
- 1st Zero-Waste Relay for Life Event (March 10)
- 2017 #HSHE Summit (March 16-18)
- S.O.S. Construction of Waste Diversion Stations (March 28 & 30)
Mahalo to all volunteers, the Students of Sustainability, Campus Center Plaza,
Relay for Life, the UH Office of Sustainability, UH Hilo Sustainability faculty
members, and the active composting student body (including YOU)!
What to be looking forward to this month:
April is Environmental Stewardship Month! There are so many things you can enjoy while making an impact on campus.
Below are the events for this month:
- April 13 (Thursday) – “Creating Connections” event, College of Ag Blg
- April 17 (Monday) – Geography and Environmental Society (GOES) Tabling – 8 am – 12 pm
- April 18 (Tuesday) – Brian Schatz Town Hall Meeting in Hilo – UHH Sciences & Technology Building (Room 108), 1 pm – 2: 30 pm
Description: Objective is to ask, “I am concerned about climate change. How do you feel about a carbon fee and a dividend going back to American households?” The more attendees with this intention from our campus, the likelihood of one of us will voice this question and get our politicians thinking about solutions to climate change. Make sure to RSVP: https://www.schatz.senate.gov/townhall
& Tusli Gabbard Town Hall Meeting in Hilo – Waiakea High School, 7: 30 pm – 9 pm
Description: Same as objective for Town Hall Meeting with Brian Schatz. Make sure to RSVP: https://gabbard.house.gov/townhall
- April 18 (Tuesday) –
- April 18 (Tuesday) – Students of Sustainability General Meetings – 5 – 6 pm, College of Ag Blg 201
- S.O.S. Tabling – time and location TBA
- April 20 (Thursday) – “The Power of Students to Catalyze Transformative Change: A How-To Guide” presented by Matt Lynch – 7 – 8 pm, , UCB 100
- Mid-Late April – Functioning Waste Diversion Stations at Campus Center Cafeteria
- April 21, 2017 (Friday) – Earth Day Fair and Earth Day Concert*** – LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS! Apply with UH Hilo GOES here (general) or S.O.S. (for waste diversion initiative) here.
Note: Geography and Environmental Society will be having outreach at Earth Day Fair with the objective of informing people about the carbon fee and dividend, have people fill out form (check it out), write letters to Congress, and build a social media audience at https://www.facebook.com/CCLHawaiiIsland/.
- April 27, 2017 (Thursday) – Restore Puʻu Kaliʻu & VIP Tour of the Latest Response to Rapid Ohia Death (departs from UHH Bookstore @ 8 am) – 8 am – 2pm
Description: Tuna’s Pu’u Kali’u bursts with native flora and honeycreepers. Students will also receive a rare, inside look at the effects and latest responses to Rapid ‘Ōhi‘a Death (ROD). Students will also assist Pono Pacific Land Management in removal of invasive weeds and outplant native species. The first 14 people to sign up get a free van ride from the UHH Bookstore (@ 8am). We’ll stop at KTA for attendees to buy food. Sign-up: goo.gl/HVg8Z8
Let’s have fun and be susty!