What is Mentor Collective @ Hilo?
- Mentor Collective is an international online mentoring community.
- The University of Hawaiʻi Hilo is one of many institutions to partner with Mentor Collective to provide support within the community through mentorship.
- Mentor Collective matches students with a trained mentor based on common interests, background, academics, and professional aspirations.
- Mentors are highly qualified peer mentors.
- If you have logistical questions at any point during your mentorship, feel free to email Gaby Yeshua at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do mentors and mentees discuss?
- How will my major impact my professional options?
- How do I balance the demands of school, sleep, and socializing?
- How can I set myself up for academic, social, and career success?
What are other mentees saying about the experience?
“[My mentor] helped me answer the question of how to form strong relationships with my professors by giving me an actionable strategy to having strong purposeful visits to their office hours.” – Mentee
“I’m really excited to have someone there for me. It’s nice knowing that I’m not completely alone and hopefully I can someone I can reach out to if I’m having a hard time in school or other activities. ” – Mentee
“My mentor has been an amazing help in my life, he makes me realize and see things more clearly. Sometimes it’s in front of your face but can’t see until someone puts into words for you.” – Mentee
What are mentors saying about the experience?
“I’m volunteering to mentor because I’ve been fortunate enough to have mentors who guided me throughout my academic and professional careers & I feel like I am finally able to give back. “ – Mentor
“I would like to give back and help current students achieve their goals, sometimes all it takes is a simple conversation. ” – Mentor
“I have personally benefited from the help of some great mentors both in my personal life and academic/career life. At my first real job after college I was assigned a mentor on my first day that has been nothing but supportive and helpful to me as I embarked on a new journey. Mentorship has been a very valuable asset to my life and career so far. I believe it is my duty to also give back like the mentors who have been part of my success so far.“ – Mentor
“I am volunteering because I believe I could had achieved my goals at a faster rate if I had someone who could had given me their perspective of life five years ahead of me. I hope to bring valuable advice to my mentees.” – Mentor
How can students get matched with a mentor or volunteer to support their peers?
Reach out to Shara Mahoe (email@example.com) to receive information about how to get involved as a mentor or a mentee.
Haven’t received this information or want to learn more? Contact Gaby at firstname.lastname@example.org.