CoBE alum lands dream job using Econ, Communication, and English skills

Thursday, March 25, 2021, 5:00am by

Seth Master graduated in December with honors with degrees in Economics and Communication and a certificate in Creative Writing.  These qualifications opened many different career paths to him, but he had a very specific goal.  He wanted to stay on Hawaii Island and use his education to help uplift families and community.

Master took a position as Employment Counselor for Goodwill Hawaii. Goodwill Hawaii is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit charity that helps people with employment barriers to reach their full potential and become self-sufficient.

“This position allows me to interact personally with clients and connect them to the help they need,” he says. This help can be skill-building, tuition assistance, job search support, help with acculturation, or other types of career-related assistance. “I get to use my experience from UH Hilo being the most culturally diverse university to my advantage as I interact with people from all over the world.”

Master says all three areas of study have come into play in his new position.

“I am thankful for my econ professors who helped me understand the flow and nature of money as I now counsel members of our society who are hurting,” he says, “and for the communication department for equipping me to communicate inter-culturally and effectively. My English professors will be proud to hear that I write  and personalized employment plans for families, in addition to completing tons of paperwork!”

For those still in school, Master advises focusing on the big picture, and looking outward and forward:

“Keep your heads up in the trying time of continued online class work. It won’t be like this forever. Find out what you can do to take steps towards a better tomorrow now and then take those steps! Be the leaders and the creative minds Hawaii deserves and let’s build up our local economy!”

Goodwill Hawaii’s employment services are available free of charge to eligible families.