CoBE student interns at high-profile business-news startup Morning Brew

Thursday, February 25, 2021, 12:01am by

Amidst the dire stories of media’s decline, business news startup Morning Brew is a rare success story.  Its daily newsletter, serving bite-sized business news, has a growing subscriber base and is making a profit.

CoBE student Mika Odaira started as a Morning Brew subscriber.  From reading the newsletter, she learned a lot about business news that she didn’t catch on TV or online. She was so impressed with the publication that she decided to apply for an internship. And she got it!

Ms. Odaira quickly found that in this fast-paced startup environment it was up to her to produce results, with very little hand-holding.

“At first I was a bit put off by this and I thought the experience wouldn’t amount to much,” she says. “But I realized that this is probably what work will be like once I graduate. No one will hold my hand and point me to the next step. It’s up to me to take initiative and market myself well.”

In CoBE we encourage and support internships for students who want them. They’re a great way to gain experience and forge a pathway to a job after graduation.  And not all internships are the same.

“Internships can come in all types from instruction-heavy ones to more open ended ones like this,” Ms. Odaira says. “My advice for my peers is to be ready for many types of work environments. For those like myself who are more introverted and find it hard to take initiative, try to keep in mind that as uncomfortable as some of these experiences may be, the personal growth we gain through this is key to success.”

QR Code

Interested in subscribing? Scan the QR code above or visit https://brew-u.com/uhawaii