For one CoBE grad, BBA in Healthcare Management is a springboard to the nursing program

Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 1:22am by

Chaden Shimaoka-Bello is a barista at Starbucks, a student office worker for the College of Business and Economics, and a Business Administration student with a concentration in Health Care Management. And as of fall, 2021, he will be enrolled in UH Hilo’s highly competitive Bachelors of Science in Nursing.

Why choose healthcare management instead of the traditional pre-nursing curriculum?

My introduction to CoBE was through my fellow classmates in my sophomore year. I started to take courses under my pre-nursing elective requirements and that’s when I started meeting people that were already in CoBE taking the same health elective courses for their Health Care Management requirements. My friends who were in the college of business would always talk highly of the faculty and coursework. They also shared how valuable a business background is and how prevalent business is in the world today.

I knew that having a background in business could allow me to look a lot more hirable and overall just a well-rounded and knowledgeable candidate in my future field of work.

Has your education affected your perspective on the pandemic?

With a background in business and health you are able to see exactly how things are interconnected and work. You begin to notice all the disparities that small rural communities face. With smaller and less advanced facilities in Hawaii, especially on outer islands, and with a huge blow to economies everywhere, Hawaii had to prepare for the worst. Our hospitals and local health facilities would be completely overrun and that to me was the worst scariest outcome that we could have faced, too many patients and not enough room or workers to treat these people.

Once travel is safe, would you recommend students get involved in study abroad?

If you have the opportunity to study abroad, and I cannot stress enough, you should go for it! Studying abroad helped me grow so much into who I am and helped me to understand who I wanted to be in this world. Experiencing other places and cultures and seeing things that you’ve only ever heard about really changes you and expands your horizons. If you are unsure of your career path studying abroad might just help you figure out exactly what you want to do. So many great opportunities lie in even the most seemingly mundane places!

What are your career plans?

Now that I have been accepted into nursing school I want to throw myself into the coursework and clinical practice. Once I graduate with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing and Bachelor’s in Business Administration Healthcare Management, I plan on developing a career and connections within my local community. When I am ready, I plan on going to graduate school and becoming an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, but I am now really just looking forward to what life has in store for me in the next two years.

Find out more about the Health Care Management BBA HERE