File under Business Majors can do Anything: CoBE accounting alumna enrolls in top medical school

Thursday, October 29, 2020, 12:12am by

Raisa Ancheta (formerly Raisa Evora) earned her BBA from CoBE and started as a Senior Accountant at a brokerage firm in the Bay Area. Then she completed a second Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh in 2018 with a 4.0 (Summa Cum Laude).

Now she is headed to the UC Irvine School of Medicine, a top-50 medical school that accepts under 2% of applicants each year.

How did she move from accounting to medical school? A long commute, an unexpected move, and a lifelong interest in science:

I was fortunate to work in one of the greatest work environments as a senior accountant. However, I found myself constantly reading science textbooks on my commute to work. I, unfortunately, had to leave my job in the Bay Area when my husband was deployed and stationed in Wisconsin. I took advantage of my new freedom during this time of transition to pursue a passion for science that I had developed. Furthermore, I realized that I could not only have tremendous fun working in a field that I love, but I also had the advantage of understanding the management/accounting/marketing related aspects of business which is an integral part of the health care system.

Her business background and her experience at CoBE made her uniquely prepared for her studies in life sciences and medicine.

I do not think I could have succeeded this way had it not been for the strong foundation I received at University of Hawaii at Hilo. All my professors and mentors at UHH were beyond kind and encouraging. They offered me so many opportunities to shine academically and made me feel like I could succeed in anything I set my mind towards.

Raisa notes that the support of her family has been central to her success.

I am also grateful for the support of all my family on the Big Island of Hawai’i. My mother, Sunday Leimomi Nelson, M.Ed, has been an especially empowering influence on my decision to become a medical student. She advocated for children and families of East Hawai’i in the pursuit of mental health parity. Now, in the dissertation phase of her Doctorate of Education in Organizational Leadership with a focus on Mental Health, she demonstrates a life-long love of learning at any age. Her commitment to learning and the support I had from the UHH faculty inspired me to combine my business background, my love of science, and my desire to help others into a career in medicine.

Raisa lives in California with her husband, two daughters, and two sons.