From the Interim Chancellor: Farewell Message to UH Hilo ‘Ohana

Effective July 1, 2019, I will return to the College of Business and Economics as a faculty member. I look forward to joining colleagues at the college where I began my tenure at UH Hilo.

Dear UH Hilo ‘Ohana:

Marcia Sakai
Marcia Sakai

As we close the end of another academic year and begin enjoying the summer months ahead, I want to thank all of you for doing your part in contributing to another successful year for our students and our university ‘ohana.

The past two years as your interim chancellor provided me with much professional and personal growth. As with everything else, there were challenges and setbacks, but they were all accompanied with opportunities and experiences from which to learn and grow, and for this I am grateful.

I will also be providing management oversight for the next decade strategic direction setting process for the University of Hawai‘i System. This project will examine demographic, social, cultural, and political trends in the nation and in Hawai‘i and will focus on identifying how the university can better meet the needs of people of the state of Hawai‘i.

It has been a pleasure serving as your interim chancellor. As we move forward, I want to encourage all of you to work together for the common good. We must continue to work hard for the benefit of our students, and we must continue to work together collectively. The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo is a special place, comprised of outstanding, caring people. The value you bring to our university is exemplary.

I wish you my very best. Have a wonderful and productive summer.

Mahalo,
Marcia Sakai

Published in Announcements