We have an exciting semester ahead with many opportunities for you to engage with each other and the entire university community.
We have an exciting semester ahead with many opportunities for you to engage with each other and the entire university community. In addition to your classroom studies, there are internships, collaborative research with professors, community service, and extracurricular participation. I encourage you to investigate and pursue as much as you can to expand your knowledge of our campus community, our island, and the world.
In response to student requests for more recreational areas and covered outdoor gathering places on campus, several new projects were completed over the summer.
- There is now a refurbished outdoor basketball court called Pu‘u Li‘i located behind the auxiliary building with a gazebo, grill, and picnic tables with solar powered recharging stations, USB ports, and Wi-Fi access. A great place to hang out with friends!
- Several other covered recharging stations were also built around campus near the main hubs of the Student Services building, the College of Business and Economics, and at the bus shelters near the bookstore and the main entrance to campus (see Campus Maps).
While the new semester holds much excitement, we are aware of the stress many have felt from the volcanic eruption event that began in early May. Please reach out for support if you have been directly affected. Visit our informational website Puna Lava Flow for FAQs, information on housing, safety, wellness resources, contact information, and more.
If you have general questions, here is contact information for the following topics:
- Academic support or scheduling, contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- Student support services, contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Parking or cashier, contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs.
Study hard, do good work, and take good care of each other. I know you will achieve every success in your educational endeavors.
Have a great semester!
Interim Chancellor, UH Hilo