Press "Enter" to skip to content

Message from the Interim Chancellor: Reorganization update

The university is moving forward with the formation of the College of Natural and Health Sciences, effective July 1, 2018.

Aloha UH Hilo ‘Ohana,

UH Hilo seal, red lettering University of Hawaii and the state motto.As we celebrate the accomplishments of our fall graduates and enter winter break, I would like to take a moment to update you on the reorganization of the College of Arts and Sciences.

As you know, during the fall I held a series of meetings with faculty to hear ideas, concerns, and to answer questions. I found these discussions very valuable and thank so many of you who took the time to meet with me to express your thoughts and feelings on this important issue.

I then met with President David Lassner to discuss what I had learned. He agrees with and supports my recommendation to proceed with a phased reorganization plan. This will begin with the formation of the College of Natural and Health Sciences, effective July 1, 2018. I look forward to sharing more details with you as the process unfolds.

During this period of transition, I hope we can all continue to work together to move the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo forward with a focus on serving our students and community. While there are still some uncertainties on the road ahead, I remain fully committed to working collaboratively with you as interim chancellor.

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication throughout the year. I wish you a safe, relaxing winter break and a joyous holiday season. And I look forward to seeing you next year!

Marcia Sakai

css.php