Have formal Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) or Student Learning Outcomes (SLOS) been developed?
YES, “Goals for Student Learning in the Major”
Published where? (website)
Do PLOs include or imply link to Core Competency? (AY 2013-2014: Written Communication)?
No, but the Department will use AY 2013-2014 to rewrite the SLOs to incorporate Core Competencies
Process of Core Competency Assessment:
Course (400- level)
Students will articulate a research question, explain the significance of the question they want to explore, undertake a literature review of the subject, and finally develop a methodology and scope of work.
Type of Student Artifact
6-8 Page research paper
Rubric or other instrument
GE Rubric for Written Communication
Data (measurement of the competency)
1.Nineteen (n=19) senior thesis papers were evaluated by two readers on the GES faculty.
2. The papers ranged from a score of 2 (emerging) to 4 (advanced) based on an average of all four areas.
3. Averages for all students assessed (n=19): Reasoning, 3; Organization 3.2; Content 2.9; Language, 3.2.
The overall averages suggest that our senior students are competent rather than advanced.
4. However, the number of students in the emerging range (4/19) is too high. 21% of our graduating seniors are not at the emerging level.
Action Taken in Response to the Data (What will you do in response to the Findings?)
Department suggestion based on review of these data are:
1. Additional faculty review at the outline stage of writing to help students develop conceptual content.
2. Greater emphasis in GEOG 201 and GEOG 280 on data analysis and its translation into written analyses.
3. GES students currently take ENG 225 or now ENG 287 to satisfy the GES writing requirement. We will revisit if these courses prepare students adequately.
4. Our low scoring students were both native and non-native English speakers, but students need to be more proactive in using tutoring resources. We will encourage students to use tutoring.
Date of Last Program Review